Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This is right, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is right, right?

Share your preschool experiences, please.

I am currently searching for preschools for this coming fall and am feeling overwhelmed and unsure about the entire thing. We're moving to California this summer and my contact out there has informed me that if I don't hurry up, there will be no decent preschool to attend. It just feels weird. . .I'm filling out one application tonight and I feel like I am applying to college.

This could just be mommy anxiety at "letting go" of my daughter. I honestly would probably keep her home until kindergarten if she wasn't so eager about the thought of preschool. Her face lights up whenever she talks about it and I know that she would love to interact with kids. She will be 4 this summer.

I felt the same way with both my kids. It's hard to let go. For what it is worth, I think that smaller, home-style preschool programs are a little easier on both mommy and child. My first went in to a traditional preschool environment. That was hard, even though it was preschool. My second went in to a small preschool on the first floor of the teacher's home. She had 9 students and two instructors in the classroom. It was like a big family. I always felt good about my daughter's experience there and the teachers were like additional parents and educators. That's the type of environment I would pick if I had a third.

I know it's hard. If she's that eager, I'm sure she's ready. Just take it slow - for the both of you.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

It's all up to the child and their personality. I have a classroom of 19 kids, some are part time so the most I have during a day is 17, and the kids in my class love it! I've definitly worked with kids in the past that I thought would have been better off in a smaller setting but if your daughter is that excited then I really believe you should use this as a chance to start a love of school early. Just look around, visit places whenever possible and find the right fit for your child.

Comment

How much detail would you go into for the following questions on the application:

Is there anything concerning your child's emotional development that you feel would be helpful for the teacher to know?

Generally, what is your child's daily routine around wake up time, meals, bedtime, etc?

Comment

I think just a sentence or two is good. I wasn't sure what to put for those. I think for the first -- emotional development -- I wrote about how she reacts when she is frustrated or upset.

I didn't have to do that for the first preschool but did for the second. I wasn't expected those questions on a preschool application. Whatever I put must have been sufficient because no one asked me about it.

Comment

Those questions get asked (here at least) every single year. (My kids are in 5th and 2nd, now.) I think they really are designed to help the teacher know more about the child going in. It seems weird when you are asked things like that on a competitive application. Of course, it is weird that application to preschool can be competitive. I hope you aren't in that environment. It makes it so stressful.

I *think* that Suzy Sunshine was a preschool administrator in a competitive district in California. Is that right? Maybe she's have some thoughts.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie's right. Those questions are just to help us get information about the child. Especially when it's a child's first time in school.
              I think for the first -- emotional development -- I wrote about how she reacts when she is frustrated or upset.
              This is really helpful to the teachers so we know what frustrates your child and how she will react when upset.
              Generally, what is your child's daily routine around wake up time, meals, bedtime, etc?
              Usually our parents just write a really short summary of their day. What time does your child get up, are they happy when they get up (or grumpy like me), what time are meals, does she nap and if so what time, what time is bedtime and what do you to to get her to sleep? (read books...)
              At my school the parents fill these out after they've accepted a spot with us to help us get to know their child before they start. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Comment

I think this is totally normal today -- the rush to get into a "good" pre-school, the forms to fill out etc.

Sending your child off to school for the first time is hard. I kept thinking she wasn't ready. She was, I wasn't.

Keep in mind you found a good school and all questions are coming from professionals who want to be the best for your daughter. If you have red flags that's another story....most questions from educators are asked to help your child, not pry. If you aren't comfortable going into detail about something, then don't.

Take a deep breath. Nothing is permanent. Pre-school should be fun. If there are tears at the beginning that's completely normal and VERY hard on the drop off parent.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I'm getting so depressed about this. Really.

I noticed on the application that I filled out the other night that you have to do a visit/interview first. I contacted the school to ask whether or not to go ahead and send the application in and I haven't heard back from them yet. This rubs me the wrong way b/c the lady that I initially spoke with on the phone came across as a snotty b* while I was asking her about the school, telling her that we lived in Mississippi (it's not like I asked to move here!!) . . . and was just b* until I told her that DH was a physician.

The other 2 schools that I contacted 2 weeks ago were really vague and told me that they would send information and an application. Still waiting on that.

There was one school that sent the information right away and I am going to send in the deposit to hold a spot. I just don't know too much about it.

It would be insane to travel to CA just to check out preschools, right? I have such a hard time signing my precious daughter up for what will be a very important time in her life without really knowing anything. I am very much into vibes. Last year (in NM) before the baby was born, we visited a Montessori to see if they had space. The guy running the place (and scream at me and hit me but I had an issue with this, too. I know it's nuts but I couldn't shake it) just gave me weird vibes and I left.

Anyway, I don't know what to do. We supposedly get final orders in April that we will be going so we can't get house hunting leave until then. We'll move in July.

I have been talking to a mom who is out there right now and she has been very helpful in giving me names and a bit of a scoop. But whether or not you like a preschool is so subjective, you know?

Comment

Oh, and for what it is worth, if this was for my youngest daughter, it wouldn't be this much of a big deal. I can already tell that she will be the kind of child who could go most anywhere and be OK.

My older daughter, however, is very complex My husband keeps blowing it off and telling me that she will be fine anywhere. . .but my mommy voice tells me that this isn't necessarily true. If the school is too big, she will get completely lost in the crowd.

Comment

Where in CA? If you don't want to post here send me a PM if you're talking the Palo Alto, CA area. I used to work at a preschool there and can help with that one and others in the area.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My oldest attended 2 different preschools -- and while I was happier w/the 2nd, I never fell in love with either of them. My younger son attended a PDO that also offered preschool, but I opted to go with the preschool he's in now and I love it! The PDO was fine, the teachers were nice, the cost was very reasonable - but it was a co-op. I wasn't interested in doing co-op, and frankly wasn't interested in some of the other parents having "teacher-like" roles w/my son.

My older son attended the JCC in Cleveland and I just never, ever felt quite right. I know it was a wonderful program when I was little (my 2 best friends went there as kids), I never felt like my son connected. They came right out and told me that he was "stubborn" (which he is - but hello - teacher speak anyone?), and made me feel as though he was severely behind b/c he couldn't write his name at 3 years old or didn't like to do Dalcroze.

Several parents I knew loved the place -- it's a personal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                          Where in CA? If you don't want to post here send me a PM
                          I second that if you're talking the Sacramento, Davis, or even Pasadena area I could possibly help. We had a hard time settling on a "preschool" for DS when we lived in CA.

Comment

We have two possibilities, both require that they be three and potty-trained. and both operate on a Semester system so that he couldn't start until Fall of 2007 anyway. I have to complete the applications and make the tours and send in checks to have him out on the waiting list. Luckily they're both between our house and the Army base and hopefully once my beloved returns from the desert, he can take over transportation.

Our current daycare is fine. They seem to truly like Nikolai and he gets the stimulation from the other kids which he needs. That said, he never knew the Barney song or Bob the Builder until he started daycare. and they won't move him to the 3yo room until he's potty trained. Right, his daddy leaves and then he turns three? I'm 99% sure that we're going to have some regression. I need to speak to the Director to make sure that they don't hold him back because of things beyond his control.

Our public elementary school has a total Spanish immersion program that we're very interested in for the dude. (Jodi- mine is a dude, too!) As for junior high- we don't know if we'll still be here. Hopefully we can do the seven he owes to Uncle Sam here and that'll be right at the end of elementary school. I'm not opposed to public education and luckily we can afford to consider all of the options including private schools. We'll cross that bridge when we get there, I guess.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                            X