Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Birthday Parties with Release Forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Parties with Release Forms

The boys are going to a birthday party today at "Bump City", which is one of those climb / jump around places. It's fun, we've been before when we were taking a class there -- but I'm all eeked out by the fact that I have to sign a release form to allow the kids to participate. Everyone who does ANYTHING at Emerald City has to sign the release -- but the idea of it being attached to a birthday party just strikes me as odd.

In my line of work I have to have people sign waivers to have their dog's photo taken with Santa Claus (seriously). In this day and age everyone has to cover their own butts. Too many people sue over every little thing and companies have to protect themselves.

It does seem to take the fun out of everything but companies have to protect themselves too.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
      I'm not sure if that's true or not but it was funny especially seeing the poor party host reaction.

Seems like we sign a lot of those for any birthday party that is not in someone's home.

Comment

Okay guys. You made me feel better.

Nellie - you're right. The next thing WILL be signing releases for parties even when they're in someone's home! During this year's block party we ended up setting up our slip 'n slide and our kiddie pool in the front yard b/c it was so hot. DH was only half-joking when he yelled over to the lawyer couple a few doors down and loudly asked if they'd draw up a quick release form for us.

Comment

It's really a drag, isn't it? Our experience with the Girl Scouts has been tarnished by the constant stream of permission slips and releases. It is like a never ending paperwork fest. The girls want to go outside and plant some flowers---better have a permission slip on file! :>

Of course, I'd want paperwork too if I thought someone was about to sue me. I had to sign a release for my daughter's riding lessons that pointed out repeatedly that she might DIE, that hospitals were far away, that nobody was responsible for HER DEATH should an animal go bonkers. She almost didn't get lessons, let me tell ya...... I was a little freaked out.

I haven't had to sign a release for the My Gym type places, but I do see lots of posted warnings on doors and inside the spaces.

Have fun at the party ....it looks like a great place!!
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
            Wow. Sign of the times I guess.

I hope you aren't held liable for emotional distress if the kid doesn't like their birthday gift. Maybe you should draft a release. :>
            :>

Comment

One of the children dropped off at DS's recent birthday party forgot his release form. This company had banners up everywhere stating that no one was allowed to play without a fully executed release. DH saved the day by sneaking an additional waiver from the car which we filled out on behalf of this child. (Like we were going to make this kid sit in the lobby).

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

It is absurd. Last week I was at my prenatal yoga class (for which, of course, you have to sign some lame release). A new woman was signing up for the class and balked at having to sign the form-- she wanted to get her BIL the lawyer to look it over because she did not like having to release the studio form all responsibility. Puh-leeze. It is a fat lady yoga class- what do you think is so terribly risky?
                Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Working...
                X