Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Where to cut corners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy almost everything used. I go to a thrift store in town where all the clothes are 1.25. They always have awesome stuff. I often buy namebrand stuff there and sell it on ebay ( ex a brand new pair of Robeez still in the package).

I use cloth diapers. I make my own baby food. I mow the yard myself. I buy day old produce ( ex i just bought a big bag of lemons and limes, juiced them and put them in ice cube trays). I am renting my house out to a complete stranger for a week. I usually order water when we go out to eat. I buy cheap wine

I water down the soap. I use half the laundry detergent. I dont use dryer sheets. I love to read and get all my books from the library- i reserve titles online and they call me when they are ready for pick up. I also get DVDs there- they have a great new release selection. I do some mystery shopping, but only at restaurants for the free meal.

The biggest thing for us is that we bought a fixer upper when we moved here and sold it a year later for a nice profit.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

ITA with what has been posted.
      Needs

Comment

I've always been pretty thrifty, but since my husband began med school, I'm now just down-right cheap. And totally okay with it.

Here's what we do to "get by" so I can stay home with the stooges:
        • -Buy food in bulk and freeze it. (In-laws bought us a freezer as a birthday gift to hubby when we first relocated.)
          -My husband does all repairs around the house, changes oil on the vehicles, etc.
          -Zeroscape landscaping. It's mainly rocks and potted plants. Less water usage equals lower bills.
          -I set the temps where our heat will come on REALLY low (58) and the temp for the air-conditioning to come on REALLY high (80).
          -Have switched to all flourescent light bulbs in the entire house.
          -No land line phone, only our cell phones.
          -Purchase most all items at the grocery store that are "store brands". (Safeway's store brands are particularly good.)
          -I steer our out-of-state family who want to send or get things for the kids to simply send gift cards. That way, they don't have to pay for the shipping fees, and the kids can use the cards for whatever they need/want. The first year we were here, our family sent the kids so much crap for Christmas, we couldn't get within 3 feet of the tree. Now, my husband and I will go shopping with our funds and the gift cards. We get what the kids will want or need and the rest is saved until uniforms/shoes/backpacks need replacing.
          -I'm the only person to go to the grocery store. If I take the kids or husband we spend WAY more than normal.
          -Freecycle is a fantastic way to get used items with some life still in them. I've received a free treadmill, play clothes for the kids, sewing machine, 5 disc DVD players, bikes, kitchen supplies, dishes, etc.
          -Husband sold his car and got a motorcycle. He can use this a good part of the year here in AZ and saves us a small fortune in gas and insurance.
          -We eat out maybe 3 times a year, if that.
          -Husband takes his lunch from home.
          -I cook things that are easily frozen and stored for later.
          -I also cook a lot of dishes that make great leftovers. (Soups, pasta and vegtable dishes that can be eaten warm or cold, etc.)
          -I sew all the kids Halloween costumes. (Those things can get expensive!)
          -Buy the kids books from the school Scholastic book clubs. They get MUCH better pricing than I could ever hope to find at the stores.
          -I purchase all of my produce at Sprout's or WildOats type stores. They're the cheapest in town...but only on the produce. I do the rest of the shopping elsewhere.
          -Our cable company has a program where you can "bundle" your TV and broadband service. If we were to purchase seperately, TV would be $30 by itself and the broadband is $40 alone. But together, we get both for $50. ($40 for broadband and $10 for TV.)
          -I no longer need to be fashionably attired for work and save a TON on clothes.
          -I rarely wear makeup anymore and save lots on cosmetics.
          -This is the absolute cheapest thing I do. I have medium/long hair that only requires a good cut/style every few months or so. Instead, I usually let it go for a year and get it cut at an annual "Cuts for Kids" event put on by the local "Locks of Love" foundation. They bring in a bunch of SUPER expensive stylists from Scottsdale who dontate their time for free. I get my hair cut for free from a high-end stylist. (You don't have to donate your hair, especially if it's too short, but I always donate the 6" I have them chop off.) Yes, this is the ultimate cheapie move, but comes under the heading of "gotta do what I gotta do", to me.

Not sure if any of this helps anyone else or if it just highlights my extreme form of cheapism. Whatever. If it helps someone else, that's all that matters to me!

~Wendy

Comment

WOW!!!! Your list is fabulous!!!

3 times/ year? There are days when I've eaten out 3 times/day.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Wendy - that is a great list, thanks!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
              WOW!!!! Your list is fabulous!!!

3 times/ year? There are days when I've eaten out 3 times/day.

When I was working I was the exact same way. And so was my husband. On the upside, our cholesterol levels are now much lower! :mydoc:

Comment

Working...
              X