Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

strep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strep

sorry - one handed right now. what are signs of strep? dd has been sick for week now w/ only symptoms being sore throat and fever (was high first two days. . .went away for few days and returned).

i also have a wicked sore throat as of last week and it's very painful to swallow.

dh's response? "i think you guys look fine." thanks. if it can't be treated surgically, dh is NO help at all.

Usually need to see pus on the tonsils.
    Go get a rapid strep test - it's not worth risking scarlet fever, or whatever it is you get after untreated strep.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

I think it rheumatic fever.....

You get scarlet fever from the same virus, though. DS had that, too. He seems to collect illnesses.

I live in fear of the rheumatic fever showing up down the road from untreated strep. It can kill you!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
        I think it rheumatic fever.....
        My mom had rheumatic fever as a kid --- but she thought everyone told her she had "romantic fever". Anyway - it can damage the heart, and it did hers causing a condition called "rheumatic heart".

But I'm not sure that strep untreated goes that way. I've heard some pediatricians say they don't treat it (I think).

Comment

Wiki'd it and said that strep and scarlet fever can lead to rheumatic fever

Rheumatic fever is an inflammatory disease which may develop after a Group A streptococcal infection (such as strep throat or scarlet fever) and can involve the heart, joints, skin, and brain.

Hope it's not strep, it goes away and you all feel better soon!
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

DH swears he can tell when I have it by my breath. Really, since I have been adult there is NO question if I have it or not.....I am sick as a dog, to the point of puking, and am barely rational. I get it about every other year.

I had 20 documented cases of strep by the time I graduated from high school (why my tonsils never went the way of Cassy's I don't know) and have probably had it 7 to 10 times since then.

Definitely get the test for you and for your daughter.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

DH is the same way, Sally but he doesn't get it as often as you. It is horrible when he gets it. Somehow, I have never had strep in my life.

Comment

It definitely has a smell! The rheumatic fever is more likely in kids than in adults. Adults are usually treated so as not to pass it on to kids. Go get a throat culture.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                X