Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Crossing the line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing the line

I hear ya.

On Saturday night, someone told me that having 3 girls would be her "curse." Having to spend much more time with her would be mine.

I was one of three girls and I can say my mother was not cursed. I don't know why two has become the "socially acceptable" number for children. Each family should be able to have as many as their comfortable with both emotionally and financially.

Several of the residents here plan on larger families of 4+. We will stick with two but that should be your choice IMO.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think that this sort of reaction conveys more about that person's frailties and self identity than the recipient's.

But that is just my take.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

ITA
        Originally posted by house elf
        I think that this sort of reaction conveys more about that person's frailties and self identity than the recipient's.

Kelly
        Whenever I get the "you poor dear" or " wow you really have your hands full" I tend to just say "thank goodness everyone's thresholds/abilities are different!" or " I love it and wouldn't change a thing!" of course I am saying it in such a charming manner and w/ a smile, but they usually get it!

Comment

Try going out with 5

People's reactions can be funny at times, but...I agree with whomever said it is more about them than anything else....

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

One of my friends in Boston took her two children to a Starbucks, sat down for snack....and one of the kids projectile vomited across the table.

Needless to say, she stopped going to that Starbucks for awhile.

I haven't noticed a number of kids issue in most of the places I've lived. Actually, here we have lots of families of four. I was probably the one shocked at the numbers coming from my NE city perspective.

Lily....you will make a fab mother. "Unflappability" is a great quality. It usually takes years to wear your senses down to that level. Must be all the rock and roll.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I don't mind the looks about the 3 boys situation, but it drives me CARZY when people (strangers) feel the need to comment about the HUGE age difference between the older two and the baby...ummmm, thanks I hadn't noticed

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                Try going out with 5

People's reactions can be funny at times, but...I agree with whomever said it is more about them than anything else....

kris

I really can go back to the exact moment I decided to stop being annoyed at these reactions and, instead, be amused by them. It's made a world of difference for me.

I really wonder what it will be like going out with six.... I suppose people will treat me like I'm a science experiment at that point.
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by house elf

Kelly
                  Ditto.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I love it when all my 5 kids are behaving in public, especially when I'm by myself! I look like supermom! We always get compliments! Downside, when the kids are monsters, I just want to crawl in a hole because of all the dagger eyes aiming at me.

Comment

Working...
                    X