Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Neighbor Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to lots of different types of churches. I like to check them out. The freakest experience for me was at a Southern Pentecostal church. The choir was.......WIRED....like shaking wired . They seemed to be drugged. They were so amped up I could only compare them to meth users/schizophrenics I've seen wondering city streets. There were several people that fell over and spoke in tongues. It was intense. The strangest part was that the friend that took me to the service (she was a church member) came out of the church totally unphased. It was just a normal Sunday morning. We were both 17. I guess nothing phases teenagers -- and she'd been going all her life. Still, it was definitely strange to experience. Either transendental, or mass hysteria. Hard to tell.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
      Originally posted by Sheherezade
      I certainly don't want to give the impression that I think all Catholicism is like that.
      It's absolutely not. That is so sad for your friend that she had to lose her religion because it was misrepresented to her. We like to call these people "better than the Church" They seem to teach and practice what they "think" the Church should be NOT what it actually is.
      Tara - I don't want to give the impression that I think the Catholic church is still like that either. My mother would be in her 60's now, and was raised in a much more "fire & brimstone" era (I believe pre-Vatican II).

Please don't be under the impression that I "hate" the Catholic church - or any church for that matter. Organized religion as a whole is not for me, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone's choice to practice a religion. It's foisting a religion on another person (especially a child or a grieving woman!) that I take umbridge with (as did you).

I'll exit while I still think it's clear I'm not critizing anyone but Laura's wacky neighbor!!!!! :guilty:

Comment

I used to work in the ER with a nurse who was very Catholic (I was brought up Catholic) and whenever we had a patient come in having a miscarriage she would always "baptize" the embryo. I will never forget the time I had a patient and she took the specimen jar to baptize it, I had to almost tackle her to retrieve it. I don't think the Rabbi Father and Orthodox Jewish mother would have appreciated it.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
          I used to work in the ER with a nurse who was very Catholic (I was brought up Catholic) and whenever we had a patient come in having a miscarriage she would always "baptize" the embryo. I will never forget the time I had a patient and she took the specimen jar to baptize it, I had to almost tackle her to retrieve it. I don't think the Rabbi Father and Orthodox Jewish mother would have appreciated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
            oh dear. back the the 'foisting'. at least my mom did it out of love when she was a kid ... not an adult (who, I'm sure, was still doing it out of love of a sort - she just should have known better.)

Comment

Working...
            X