Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Foods to avoid with breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinkpickles
    I was using Balmex and/or Vaseline when I changed his diapers, so I don't think that was the problem. The rash went away once I cut citrus out of my diet.
    I have come across so many people that think I am odd for always using creams or ointments when changing the kids...I'm so glad to hear there are others that do it!!
    Totally off topic - but we use Malox for diaper rashes. We blot it on with a washcloth and then top it with some Vasaline. It sounds crazy, but it works fast! We also have an RX for Children's "famous" magic butt cream. That is actually an order in our system....
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

malox mixed w/equal parts aquaphor and destin (original, not creamy) is our magic butt cream. you have to really mix it, but it will solve ANY rash -- and quickly!

Comment

I'm still trying to stay away from dairy, but getting more lazy about it. I'll keep being about this strict about it (I had a little ranch dressing on a salad, I'm buying the margarine with whey in it again, but I'm still avoiding cheese on my pasta, sigh) until he's a year I think.
        Alison

Comment

Alison, was it making him fussy or are you concerned about dairy allergies?

Comment

Wow Thanks for the heads up, on the malox treatment ...I'll keep it in mind!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
              Alison, was it making him fussy or are you concerned about dairy allergies?
              Because it was making him fussy, I became concerned about dairy allergies. However, I wasn't able to correlate any other symptoms like snuffles or diaper rash or other bumps, so who knows if it was really an allergic-type reaction. All I know is that as he hit the typical peak of colic-type crying around 6 weeks, he'd reliably have those inconsolable jags where he's only soothed by carrying him tummy-down and, eventually, spitting up like a madman, after every instance where I overindulged in ice cream or calzones. I stopped dairy, and I don't think we had another "colic" bout. I didn't entirely trust that it was related though; after all, Harvey Karp claims most babies will ease up on those symptoms in about the same time frame. But when it seemed to persist even past the typical colic period (he was 3+ months when I got a caesar salad with a whole pile of parmesan and the next morning -- his usual awesome-mood time -- he was a screaming banshee) I decided it probably was a true food sensitivity of *some* sort so I talked to the ped who agreed that staying away till a year made sense. :huh:
              Alison

Comment

Because it was making him fussy, I became concerned about dairy allergies
                Aha...

It's tricky, isn't it? At least for me. TenE is seriously throwing me for a loop. She is much, much better on the fussy front and sometimes sleeps alone now for 30 minutes at a time. Now I have to train myself to sleep without waiting for her to wake up.

Was that Caesar garlicy? Sounds like what you are doing is working for both of you.

I think she definitely crested that 6 week peak of fussiness....but I don't know. :huh: I didn't have the curry today because I didn't want to wait to make rice. I'm sure she will give me another chance to wonder.

Comment

i didnt read thru all the posts, but thought i would chime in with brocoli. ds HATED it. it made him gassy and crabby, and all around hard to please.
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I'm trying to avoid dairy (including eggs), too, because I'm trying to determine if Finn's rashes flare up from it. I could only hope eliminating dairy helps me lose some inches off my body.

Comment

I second the Magic butt paste Gen mentioned. We got the recipe from the NICU where DH trained and it is wonderful.
                      Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                        malox mixed w/equal parts aquaphor and destin (original, not creamy) is our magic butt cream. you have to really mix it, but it will solve ANY rash -- and quickly!
                        so it would go something like this:

2 tablespoons Malox+2 tablespoons Aquaphor+2 tablespoons Desitin original (all 3mixed well)= amazing" Magical" butt paste for a rash?

Comment

Ummm...dumb question...what does a rash look like?

I've tried googling diaper dermatitis but the clinical photographs are of course the really bad ones.

DS has gotten a little red in his thigh creases, though that doesn't really happen any more. And every so often he gets a little red and sometimes even a bump or two around his anus. When that happens I dry him well and keep him smeared with Burt's Bees ointment and it goes away within a diaper change or two.

Is that diaper rash? Or am I overreacting? Or am I not preventing well enough? I honestly don't know.
                          Alison

Comment

I think it's one of those things that you know it when you see it. Nikolai has rare boughts of redness- in fact I think I've used Dr. Boudreaux's maybe three times in two years!

My friend's daughter gets flaming rear end and has actually had one small spot of skin breakdown. (redhead with a bad gut=bad, bad diapers)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                              Originally posted by Genivieve
                              so it would go something like this:

2 tablespoons Malox+2 tablespoons Aquaphor+2 tablespoons Desitin original (all 3mixed well)= amazing" Magical" butt paste for a rash?
                              yes. it will fix even the most heinous hineys w/in a day!

Alison - what you described was probably just a little irritation, and the Burt's Balm would be perfectly sufficient for it. You'll know a real rash when you see it. Some babes never really have them --- I don't think Jacob had one until right around his 1st birthday. Others seem to have more sensitive skin.

Comment

Alison, I didn't use diaper cream once w/ Anna and haven't had to w/ Ev and only a little with the first. We just lucked out on that, I suppose. Yes, all the pictures on-line will probably be really bad! I don't think he has diaper rash.

Another thing that works if you don't mind a little potential mess is to let them be diaper free for a bit.

When we do need cream, I try to use plain zinc oxide. I think that is what it is. It's the dermatologist in the house. Burt's Bees stuff smells great but it has so many other ingredients that could cause sensitivities later. (I love the smell of Burt's Bees baby lotion and decide to take my chances with that :>). I also don't use wipes for just wet diapers for the same reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X