Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Eeew!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eeew!

I've got a unique parenting problem. My DD got her ears pierced about 8 weeks ago. She just recently started changing her earrings -- the studs can come out at 6 weeks. She's totally in to it. All good.

Recently, she's been losing earring backs. I thought it was strange because I could never find the little suckers in her bed. Turns out the earring backs are

*embedded in her ear lobes*.

No wonder she can't get the stud out.

DH prescribed some lidocane topical cream and tomorrow after school I get to try to remove the back. I can see it, but it's in the ear more that out.

*sigh*

I think taking her in to the doctor would be more traumatic at this point.

Maybe I should convince the surgeon in the house to do this.

Of course.....DD will only trust Mom.

I purchased her some little studs today with HUGE clear washer backs. I don't think she'll be able to push those through her ear. Who knew this would be so dificult?

Wish me luck!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Um, good luck with that.

I had my ears pierced around the same age and despite turning them also had some degrees of grossness. I think those different backs are a good idea.

Are the backs the kind that twist on? Or just the usual slide on and off?

Comment

I totally did the same thing when I was a kid! I have dents in the backs of both ear lobes from where my aunt had to dig them out (no way my mom had the stomach for it). I've often let people feel the back of my ear when I've explained why I don't think little kids (as in infants) should get their ears pierced. It's an Indian tradition and would be a HUGE point of contention should we ever have a girl .... but I've got the backs of my ear lobes to prove a point.

Trust me - she'll learn her lesson. You won't have this problem again.

Comment

This just happened to my cousin on Easter and they had a happy trip to the ER before church! She was fine, just a little scared!

Comment

When I was a kid (my ears got pierced at 11), nobody put studs into kids and we all had to start out with earrings that looped through. That way you could rotate it around and nothing got embedded anywhere. You might want to consider purchasing some silver ones and switching her from studs.

Comment

I have wanted to do the hoops. I got a pair last night, in fact. I managed to get one earring back out of one ear. The other ear had two (yes TWO) earring backs in it. I removed one, but the other sucker is in there. Deep. The cream seems to do only so much for pain. DH is bringing home forceps tonight so I can have a better go at the second one. I was thinking of taking her in to the ER but she's afraid they'll just yank the sucker out. After watching DH go at it.....I'm afraid she's right. It took me almost 2 hours of gentle fiddling to get the first one out relatively painlessly. I don't see an ER doc having that kind of time.

I so hope to have this all done tomorrow.

The first ear looks great and now has a HUGE washer like earring back on it. She is under strict orders to not replace any backs herself and to just lose the earring if it comes to that. I can't believe she shoved 2 backs inside one earlobe.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Oh Angie! I'm glad you got one out. Good luck with the other. Maybe with that one out it will be easier to get the other? Right? Do you think she would go for a shot of lidocaine or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                I totally did the same thing when I was a kid! I have dents in the backs of both ear lobes
                I have the same dents too! It required a trip to the ER and I had thread looped through my ears (because I didn't want to give up having pierced earrings ) before switching to hoops. Even now if I wear earrings overnight, the backs start to get embedded.

Good luck with the other one Angie.
                Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Originally posted by ellie
                  I have the same dents too! .
                  I've never found anyone else with the dents! I was thinking that Angie's daugher and I were going to have some sort of connection for the ages. My dents have screwed up the backs of my ears so much that I had to fish the post around inside my ear to find the backside of the hole. Finally I had my ears re-pierced about 3 years ago, in the same hole, but straight back. Then I took out the starter studs and put in Indian earrings (SUPER thick posts).

Angie - your updates are just bringing my memories back. And you're a lot nicer than my aunt was. There was no lidocane for me ...

Comment

OMG - I thought I was the only one. Thank you thank you for not making me feel like a freak!!

The same happened to me but instead of the back it was the stud that got imbebeded. I woke up one morning with my earlobe hurting and when I looked at myself in the mirror, I did not have my earring. I then realized that it was in.

My mom took me to our family doctor who removed it. After that experience I did not wear earrings for 4 years...not until I was 15 when I finally had the guts to get the ear re-pierced! I got bigger studs that time.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Thanks goodness I have :adminpower:

Presto!
                        Angie

Comment

DH tried.

Yes folks, that's a

Apparently, mom skills top surgeon skills when there is no nursing staff, OR and equipment. I'm up tonight to give it a go....then we go to the pediatrician. Apparently, they will just cut the hole open with a lidocaine injection. That will put her out of the earring biz for awhile. I'm hoping I can pop this sucker out like I did the other.
                          Angie

Comment

Oy. Good luck Angie.

Has the swelling gone down at all with getting the other one out?

Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                            X