Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vacation Bible School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Bible School

Have your kids ever attended VBS? How did it go? There is a VBS this week at a church near our house and I have to admit that in the chaos of packing, I keep thinking hmmm. . .DD1 out of the house from 9am-noon all week . (I'm not that terrible. . .I also think she would probably enjoy being around other kids).

But I'm worried. I've never just dropped her off somewhere and left for a few hours with people I didn't know/just met.

I'm straight 50/50 right now. What could possibly happen at VBS v. How could you just leave her at an unknown church? Granted, it is a very large Baptist church so it isn't completely random.

Originally posted by *Lily*
    Get this - the SB church drove around neighborhoods with their bus and asked kids if they wanted to give their heart to Jesus. If you did, you got a bus ride, butter cookies shaped like flowers, kool aid, and a whole day of arts and crafts. I was five and got right on the bus with my sister.

Our parents had NO IDEA where we were and were frantic. At 1 pm the bus dropped us off at the corner by our house and we went home. My mom was yelling, "Where have you been?"

Apparently my reply was, "I gave my heart to Jesus for two cookies and some kool aid, and I'm going back tomorrow!"
    No flippin' way! That could never happen today. It does seem that the Baptists always have a bus with which to collect potential members.

Back to OP, my only concern would be the church teaching a more hyped-up version of religion than you may practice - assuming you're not Baptist. I send my kids to church-run preschools, but personally would not choose a Baptist school b/c they are far more 'fire & brimstone' than I'm comfortable with.

On the other hand, if Baptist beliefs are in line with yours, I think you're fine.

Comment

I went a few times when I was a kid and I was raised Catholic and don't practice anything so the teachings didn't affect me much. But I still remember the songs and I remember just getting to play with other kids all day.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I think VBS is great, but I would be hesitant to send my kids to a place they have never been, no matter where it is, if I don't know any of the adults there or if my child doesn't have a friend already there. There are sickos everywhere, and a child that is off by themselves would be a vulnerable target.

I can't remember how old your daughter is, and maybe she DOES already have friends there, in which case I think she would be fine. I have been tempted SO many times to do what you are describing, either right before or right after a move, but I could never quite get comfortable with doing it.

It is cracking me up that *I* am the one discouraging VBS attendance! Anyone else see the humor here? I went to lots of VBS, by the way, and nothing bad ever happened to me there, but you just never know.....

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

No flippin' way! That could never happen today.
          Oh, you would be surprised. We live about 1/2 mile from a large Baptist Church and they do that very thing. They have stopped by here on several occasions to try and pick up our kids...not without our knowledge of course, but it is pretty agressive.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
              I think VBS is great, but I would be hesitant to send my kids to a place they have never been, no matter where it is, if I don't know any of the adults there or if my child doesn't have a friend already there. There are sickos everywhere, and a child that is off by themselves would be a vulnerable target.

I can't remember how old your daughter is, and maybe she DOES already have friends there, in which case I think she would be fine. I have been tempted SO many times to do what you are describing, either right before or right after a move, but I could never quite get comfortable with doing it.

It is cracking me up that *I* am the one discouraging VBS attendance! Anyone else see the humor here? I went to lots of VBS, by the way, and nothing bad ever happened to me there, but you just never know.....

Sally
              ITA
              I'm with Sally on this one. I too attended several summer VBS when I was young. I feel she's right about a child w/ NO real connections to anyone there,being easier prey for a sicko.
              I got a vibe from your OP that you weren't really hip on sending her...go w/ your gut always and trust your instincts...I know it would be easier to send her there...but maybe not until next year after you have established connections! Just my :02:

Comment

I didn't send her . I couldn't go through with it. Thanks for the replies, though.

Comment

VBS = Oxymoron

Comment

Apparently we are in VBS mecca here. (Yes I realize the irony of word choice). My friend here has a neighbor whose kids go all summer long. Wow. I've contemplated sending my second grader to the Methodist church that we may eventually attend, but this summer is kind of crazy already. I dunno.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                      Apparently my reply was, "I gave my heart to Jesus for two cookies and some kool aid, and I'm going back tomorrow!"
                      I've been giggling about this for days.

Comment

Working...
                      X