Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

need some help with dd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help with dd

dd#1 (age 3) has always been different. not in a bad way, of course... i just cant explain her. that really doesnt have much to do with the help i need, just thought i would preface it with her being different.

dd seems to be headed down the vegetarian highway. she will eat chicken and fish...but i have to physically spear it and put it in her mouth. i may be able to coax her to eat a cheesburger...but thats it. she doesnt eat pasta, rice, potatoes, or frenchfries. (who's kid is she )

she loves, loves, loves fruits and veggies. she will request a salad every night for dinner...which i do give...but i want her to eat some protein too!! she's not big on cheese or beans. i don't mind "helping" her be veggie, i just want to make sure she gets what she needs. i do plan on talking with her ped. at her next wellchild check (or i'll just ask her when i see her) but thought i would post here to start. thoughts, recommendations?

thanks!
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Edamame
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

she loves that too!
      heidi, maybe i should send her to you? you can slap the meat back into her!! steak please.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
        she loves that too!
        heidi, maybe i should send her to you? you can slap the meat back into her!! steak please.
        She'll eat meat at my house!! LOL
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Amanda is a vegetarian and she has been since she was 3 1/2.

It isn't that I haven't tried every trick in the book to get her to eat meat...she is vehemently opposed to the idea and at some point, I just caved on it. I didn't want to try and force the issue of food and she literally would not eat if I served her meat.

Basically, we do the best we can....but she is very picky. She doesn't like any of the meat substitutes, cheese or jogurt :huh: . She does eat pasta, beans and vegetables....I hope as her palat matures that she will continue trying new things.

All of her pediatrician appointments do check out just fine though and she always has blood drawn to make sure she's getting enough protein.

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

thanks for the replies. i'll try the hummus...she likes soups, so i'll make lentil soup. yummy!

annie, she wont eat scrambled eggs, but i think i'll try hard boiled.

kris, dd is almost 3.5....i guess that is the magical age.

i just want to make sure she gets what she needs.

(im scared a little bit. FIL is veggie and has been for about 35 yrs. he looks like shit ...i want dd to look healthy.)

Comment

vegetarian done right can look and be VERY healthy. as with everything, it's a matter of balance which is where I always get tripped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                as with everything, it's a matter of balance which is where I always get tripped up.
                Isn't that the truth! I have that problem with getting tripped up too.

I think the thing about 3 1/2 is that they suddenly realize where their food comes from.

Aidan loved fish sticks etc until he realized that the fish that we feed off of our dock every day...are.....fish...like the kind fish sticks are made out of.
                He won't eat any fish anymore....The last time I served fish, he was actually mad and thought that I had killed his fish from our pond...

I do think it is the age partly...but I have to admit that the constant comments about our food having a face, etc have even made me consider becoming a vegetarian.....

If I weren't so lazy (and I didn't love meat so much :> ) I'd probably do it....

kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Homemade chicken and beef stock are pretty easy to make and although they will not add the protein, they will add many nutrients. You can use a crock pot if you aren't at home that day. I use organic pasture raised chicken and beef bones that I get directly from a farmer who delivers to a group of us so the price is much better.

Having homemade stock in the freezer makes soups (including lentil like you were thinking), rice dishes and gravy really easy to make and also very tasty. Of course, I'm out right now, but well intentioned.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X