Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

potty training going very badly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pollyanna
    if you just skip the whole potty training thing then you won't have to worry about dating.

Can we sign up for that option?
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Since I decided to stop trying to train him, and I put a regular diaper on him, he decided that he'd just mess with my head and he started demanding to go pee constantly. I thought it was a fluke, but after about 3 days of this (regular diapers and all) he is still doing it! He seriously goes pee every 15-20 minutes or so, whenever he can squeeze a few drops out...

He is still not interested in #2, but I just have to sit back and let him lead b/c he is not going to take suggestions from me...

Maybe I'll do bubbles in a couple of months, but for now we spend so much time in the bathroom cheering as is...

To make things better, DH, who when Luke was crying about not wanting to go suggested that we just not do this thing, now says, aren't you glad that you went ahead and trained him? I think I'm the only one being trained here!
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Hmm, the joys that lie ahead.

Luckily I had heard too many of these stories and had come to the conclusion that you can't make things happen any faster than the kid wants it to. I say this because MIL has been hassling me since DD was (I kid you not) NINE MONTHS OLD about when I was going to get her toilet trained. Thank God she lives in Japan, because it reached fever pitch recently and was getting really irritating. She asks every time on the phone, talks to DD about doing "unchi" (number two) incessantly, and has sent numerous toilet training books for DD's edification.

Having said this though, one of the books she sent is graphic yet appealing in the way only Japanese things can be, and also has an English translation. According to the reviews on Amazon, the kids seem to love it, and it has stopped the fear factor for some. It's called "Everyone Poops", by Taro Gomi. No idea whether it will work in your case or mine, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Expect to hear more from me on this topic when DD decides the time is right! I hope to borrow from the wisdom of your experience then.

Comment

Kids (mine anyway) love Everyone Poops. Hang around long enough and chances are they will tell you that.

Comment

Well Robyn, hopefully some of us will be on the other side of this discussion but I fear the 3 YO boy convention has us all beat down.

Jenn

Comment

Well I can only comment on my own potty training since I have no kids but my parents have been bragging about potty training us since I can remember (they're NOT normal). But I know it's the truth since I was old enough to see it when they tried it with Alex.

So anyway, basically, they turned off all electronics (TV, phone, etc.) and parked me in the bathroom with a bunch of toys. They force-fed us juice constantly and then when we'd had about 8 ounces, parked us on the toilet until something happened - then praised us. I guess 48 straight hours of this (with sleeping at night) sort of fixed it into our heads.

It all seems rather militant to me but I guess that's always an option - their theory was if you focused only on TRAINING for a whole weekend, it got it into the kids head.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
              X