Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Music lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music lessons

So, the dude asked to learn to play the piano.

For those of you who have BTDT- what is the consensus on the learning methods- traditional vs. Suzuki vs. whatever else is out there.

and opinons about whether one should start on piano or violin. He has mentioned drums a few times, but that will require building him an outhouse in the yard.

Jenn

He can learn to play drums in college.

From my informal polling and not so careful observation -- piano is easier to learn than violin. You just have to get the right key to get a nice sound, none of this finger in exactly the right place business.

I'm sure you could start quite a debate on some music message board about Suzuki versus traditional. I think that if you started now, you would have to do Suzuki because he is too young to learn to read music. Maybe buy the Suzuki vol 1 piano CD and have him listen to it for a while?

Comment

I can't remember how old the dude is, but Emma is 5 1/2 and didn't start until about 6 months ago. The recommendations that we got around here was that 5 or Kindergarten is a good age to start- they have the focus for a 15-30 minute lesson, fine motor, dexterity, and some kids are starting to read at this age.

Emma is doing violin at her choosing. We have her with a very easy going teacher as we want this to be fun. Her lessons are 30 minutes long. The instructor has it set up for 15 minutes of violin and 15 minutes of whatever musical instrument she chooses in the studio. In the past she has picked playing with the guitar, drums, or harp.

As far as traditional vs. Suzuki: we have friends who's son is 9 yo and plays violin exceptionally well. He was selected to play in the Junior Symphony here, and was going to the Junior High for a symphony class. Anyway, the mom said he started out Suzuki, but wishes he had started out traditional because reading music is not his strong suit. But I don't know. :huh:

Emma is doing traditional, as dh (who is the musical expert in our house) wants the kids to be able to read music if they are going to play a musical instrument.

Now Brigham is 4 and wants to start an instrument, but we have told him he needs to wait until he is 5. He and Emma both took a music class through their preschool where they learned about beats, musical terms, musical instruments, notes, etc. The class has been on hiatus, and will start back up in September.

Hope this helped!
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Some thoughts in no particular order:

--Piano is a good general instrument to learn the rudiments of music, and often students with a piano background transition easily to other instruments.

--Piano is encouraged, often required, when students enroll in percussion/band class in elementary school or junior high (depending on when instrumental instruction starts in your area).

--Whatever instrument is eventually chosen, I would choose a teacher who has lots of experience teaching the age group of your child.

--There are many good methods, each having their own unique advantages, but I believe more important than the method is a high teaching ability of the music teacher.

--The Suzuki string method requires a lot of parental involvement. But any instrument or method will require parental involvement if the child is to have any sort of meaningful practice session, particularly at a young age.

--A book I would recommend is "Good Music Brighter Children" by Sharlene Habermeyer. There is a section on choosing an instrument.

Best wishes!

Comment

I would encourage you to check out Kindermusik, Musikgarden (sp?) or something like that before going into lessons. Or maybe a group piano class (check music stores....there used to be one north on 281 that offered some neat classes for little kids). I think I used to see ads for different classes in that San Antonio kids magazine that I would get free at HEB. I am sure there is something in Alamo Heights, dahhling

:02:

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
            I would encourage you to check out Kindermusik, Musikgarden (sp?) or something like that before going into lessons. Or maybe a group piano class (check music stores....there used to be one north on 281 that offered some neat classes for little kids). I think I used to see ads for different classes in that San Antonio kids magazine that I would get free at HEB. I am sure there is something in Alamo Heights, dahhling

:02:

Sally
            The music teacher for the Brigham's preschool teaches Kindermusik. Emma took music when she attended preschool, and both kids loved it.
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I am sure there is something in Alamo Heights, dahhling
              I'm sure...that I'm not anorexic enough, I don't have the blonde helmet head and I don't drive an Escalade or a Land Rover....

but you're right. There are some Kindermusik things around. Crunchy school has a music teacher so I'll wait to see how he does there.

jenn

Comment

Chiming in a little late on this one, but having played both piano and violin at a young age, I figured I could comment.

Piano is much easier in that (like another poster said), you don't have to work hard to make the note sound good... as long as you hit the right notes. Violin takes years of practice to make it sound good. Piano will also translate better to other instruments in the future because you learn to read both clefs.

I took Suzuki piano starting at age 5. The Suzuki method is great for ear training (being able to play something just by hearing it). It's not so great for reading music, but with that said, I learned to read music the following year (around age 6), and have no problems reading music. I probably do rely more on my ear though.

As far as drums go? DH plays drums, and he actually got an electronic drum set, so that he can bang away and it's not *as* loud. I would say if he's interested in drums, he can participate in the band program at school. No need to start lessons early
                Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

My 9 year old has been taking violin lessons for a year now. She takes private lessons (that the in-laws pay for because all my money goes to the dance studio). Her teacher says she's really good for how long she's been taking lessons.
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                  X