Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

a boy question and a girl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a boy question and a girl question

My boy question is when do I need to get him a cup and for what sports? I haven't even thought about it until now, but I'm wondering if it is time (soccer and tae kwon do?)

My girl question is how do you all get your daughters to sit still to pull back their hair? DD hates for me to brush it and it is turning into a power struggle. It looks so trashy when her hair goes unbrushed and falls in her face.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I'll answer that for soccer I was told no cup, but yes on the shin guards (bad kicking aim). But maybe useless info since mine is younger?

I have tangly hair and use super skinny serum to silken it up for workability. If the problem is of painful pulling or tangles I highly recommend this! It smells great too. Paul Mitchell - it is cheap and a little goes a long way.

Comment

Re: a boy question and a girl question

Originally posted by house elf
      My girl question is how do you all get your daughters to sit still to pull back their hair? DD hates for me to brush it and it is turning into a power struggle. It looks so trashy when her hair goes unbrushed and falls in her face.
      This is probably horrible, but my first thought was "get it cut short". Tell her she can keep it long when she'll keep it brushed, maybe? Doesn't work if you're the one that likes it long, though..
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

With two girls who have done ballet for 5 years, I've done my share of pulling long hair back (and pinning it into a tight bun). When they were smaller and would squirm, I would sit on the sofa and pin the kid between my legs. Move your head and I pull tighter. Learned that one from my mom who would pull my long thick hair into perfect ponytails, buns or French braids. After a few episodes of a yanked ponytail, they now sit still 99% of the time. For the 1%, well, I'll yank a ponytail no matter how old the kid so my 9 year old and 7 year old still get the occassional yank.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

No cups here yet.....I was kind of wondering this (for my 12 year old) the other day, as we geared up for the beginning of soccer season. DH got the duty of cleat-buying, and I guess I assumed he would take care of the rest if it was necessary at this point. I would ask him, but he *just* walked out the door to the hospital and I don't think he will be back tonight. I'll get back to you, but I think Cade is safe to go cupless for now.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Long hair=rats nest. Two unwilling participants in hair brushing in our home=frustrated kids and frustrated mommy. I threaten to cut it often. We use lots of detangler spray.
            Needs

Comment

I agree, no cup needed for soccer, especially at this age. DS wears a cup for baseball, and the reason I knew he needed one was because the coach told us. I figure if they need one, the man around will let me know.

As for the girl hair, I agree that getting it cut helps tremendously, washing with conditioner, and detangling spray are the best options. Pinning down is also sometimes necessary.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My DS (10) has worn a cup for baseball for 3 seasons now, but not soccer (yet). The coach told us when we needed one for baseball.

It's funny to watch all the little boys struggling with their cups - until they get used to them. They get that cowboy strut.

As for the hair pulling - I wish I knew the magic answer. I have 2 curly-headed girls to comb. When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I had amnio done. When I called to get the results and the nurse said "girl" my first thought was, "I'm going to be doing hair for the rest of my life."

Comment

I pretty much let DD (11) alone with her hair. It *often* was a huge tangled mess. She had a sensitive scalp, and I really just didn't want that battle. She would pull it back, tangles and all, into some wiered funky ponytail within a ponytail. I told her how to use conditioner, detangler spray, etc., but she didn't really get interested until just recently and now her hair looks great. She did get it cut this summer (donated it to locks for love) and she LOVES her new do. She wants to cut it shorter. The freedom!

As far as cups,

So not ready for that boy stuff!

Eck.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

My mom used to do the yank too.

I don't think boys ever wear cups for soccer.....that's why they are always covering during a penalty kick. But baseball and football use them I think. I imagine they don't use them for TKD either b/c I think it limits mobility. But I'm sure you could just ask the instructor.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele
                      I don't think boys ever wear cups for soccer.....that's why they are always covering during a penalty kick.
                      I know the position they use for a penalty kick, but I never knew they were covering. I have to laugh now.

Comment

True story -- I never wore a cup. Not for soccer, baseball or football. Might be crazy, but I lived and never got knocked in the special area. In high school I could probably count on one hand the number of my football teammates who wore cups. I think you'd be surprised. If your kid plays pee wee football or catcher in baseball it might be required, though.

And for the girl question. I got nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe
                          Long hair=rats nest. Two unwilling participants in hair brushing in our home=frustrated kids and frustrated mommy. I threaten to cut it often. We use lots of detangler spray.
                          We use Suave detangler -- they smell good and DD likes to squirt it in her hair "MYSELF!"

So far this has helped tremendously.

I'm NO help with the cup question.
                          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

How about a nice hat?

J/K - I was going to suggest a detangler too.
                            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl
                              With two girls who have done ballet for 5 years, I've done my share of pulling long hair back (and pinning it into a tight bun). When they were smaller and would squirm, I would sit on the sofa and pin the kid between my legs. Move your head and I pull tighter. Learned that one from my mom who would pull my long thick hair into perfect ponytails, buns or French braids. After a few episodes of a yanked ponytail, they now sit still 99% of the time. For the 1%, well, I'll yank a ponytail no matter how old the kid so my 9 year old and 7 year old still get the occassional yank.

When DD2 was younger I'd put her between my legs with her favorite cartoon on the TV in front of her with a snack (goldfish) and she'd usually sit still. She hated getting her hair combed, but bribery works well in this situation. Now that she's 3 she'll actually comb her own hair and does a pretty good job, so I give her the option if she wants me to pull it back in a ponytail. Usually she says no. Even though it's in her face most of the day, I let it go and pick my battles. It's shaved off a good amount of time to get ready in the morning.

As for the cutting....DD1 wanted to cut her hair to look like Dora 2 years ago, so we cut 12 inches off her hair and donated it. Now she looks EXACTLY like Dora, so she gets a lot of attention. I haven't been able to convince her to grow it back yet and I really miss her long hair. I will say her hair is more of a PITA short though because of the bed head problem. And I have to beg for her to let me blowdry it.

No advice on the boys...I only have girls.
                              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                              X