Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Jumping on the bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping on the bed

Do you let your children jump on the bed? I recently found out that we are the only ones in our (small) circle of friends that allow this.

We do have rules (only 1 at a time, all bed jumping must be supervised, bed jumping stops at age 5). We do respect others rules so if they can't jump on the bed at home, they can't jump on the bed at our house either.

Are we the only ones that allow this?
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

we did. we used to have "battle" after baths where the kids would jump and somersault and we'd tackle them or tickle them. we changed the rules about a year ago that there was only jumping - no touching - b/c the boys had gotten too big and were hurting each other. after we got our new bed frame in May, we ended jumping too.

Comment

Oh good! I'm glad we aren't alone. :lol

I think the jumping will stop after we get a new bed (in a few years).
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Uh, we let our kids jump on everything, of course all of our stuff is second hand. Thus, we have lots of conversations about different rules at different places.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Not at home, but hotels are fair game. :P It is really an issue of not wanting the beds to break, for us.

Comment

The girls used to jump on my bed all the time but now that we have a memory foam bed that takes the fun and the spring out of it

Comment

We don't let DS jump for the same reason Tara pointed out. I've heard about too many broken arms.

Comment

With hubby being an orthopod, our kids get to have very little fun indeed.

I do ocassionally let them jump on the bed with me right there, and in a very tightly controlled way. No furrniture around, no headboards, no footboards, and not for a long time.
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Makai
                  We don't let DS jump for the same reason Tara pointed out. I've heard about too many broken arms.
                  We subscribe to the no jumping rule.

DS recently started jumping OFF the bed onto the floor.

"But Mom I'm not jumping ON the bed!" I had to laugh. This kid will jump off of anything.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

No jumping on the bed in our house either. But, I hate to admit it that our no-jumping rule is not safety-related. I can't stand having to re-make the beds and I don't want the beds to break (Dd's bed is brand new).
                    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by planet
                      Not at home, but hotels are fair game. :P .
                      Same for us, but under parental supervision. My older 2 aren't interested anymore.

Comment

It was fine when they were younger, but they are now old enough (and tall enough) that I'm more worried about the safety of my bed. When my siblings and I were kids we broke our parents' bed (while they were sleeping in it) by jumping on it. It was funny but not -- they really didn't have the money to be buying a bed so they had to get second hand.
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Wait...if the kid is not supposed to jump on the bed for safety reasons, does this mean I have to stop, too?

Comment

Abigail - only stop at home, in hotels it's fine.

The best hotel-bed jumping scenario is getting a room with 2 double beds and jumping the gap from bed to bed. This is, of course, after removing the disgusting bedspreads (gag!). If you don't take the nasty bedspreads off, it will be like landing on greased lightning and you'll fly into the wall.

Comment

Heidi...I so hear you. I think we could vacation together.

I'll bring the scrabble board and guacamole.

We did have a miss once across the bed chasm. No harm no foul.

Comment

Working...
                              X