Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

phoenix people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoenix people

I was wondering about the education system there. I have a good friend with 4 little girls and there is a good chance that they'll be relocated there soon. Her oldest girl is in 2nd, and the youngest is 3. Her husband wants to move, badly, but she is hesitant b/c she has family out here, etc. The usaul reasons! Since they have so many kids, they wouldn't ba able to afford private school. Her husband is a computer guy- now he travels a lot to commute between Phoenix and DC, where the 2 offices are located (I know, it's pretty random).

Also, they are adopting a baby from Liberia. So there's that to consider. Is Pheonix an area where there are a lot of mixed families? Out here in the DC area, it's super common. But I know that it's not common everywhere, and that's a big concern for her.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

I PMed you!

Comment

Depends on specifically where they end up. There are a TON of school districts between Phoenix proper and the various suburbs. Our kids attend public school in the Dysart district and have received a great education. We've been pleased with it during our almost-4 years here. Statistically speaking, AZ is on the bottom of the heap for education, but we've had no complaints with what we've experienced. (And we're pretty anal about education, too.)

Comment

THANKS! In my experience easterners think they are "all that" with the education system. I think the testing is outrageous. The poor kids exhibit stress symptoms at 3rd grade. Actual stress. Besides that, the results of the education system don't show me that things are so much better here- but there are great "special programs" available. Magnets, special learning centers, and all source of resources for LD kids.

By the way, is there much diversity in Pheonix? I know there are a lot of hispanic, and probably native americans, but how about African? And African American?
        Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
          By the way, is there much diversity in Pheonix? I know there are a lot of hispanic, and probably native americans, but how about African? And African American?
          Diversity in Phoenix will differ from one school to another. Some of the schools in my kids' district are VERY monochromatic. Others are pretty varied. As for my kids' specific school, it's total mix between African-American, Hispanic, Native American and white.

Comment

Thanks- this helps. She is sort of court-mandated to have him in a diverse school. It's terms of her international adoption- not that they could/would take him away from her, but...
            Peggy

Comment

Working...
            X