Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Disney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney

Ok, give me the "must-do" and the skip for next times...
    We are starting the planning stages of a trip for Christmas. I am not sure if the boys will enjoy it or not...I think they will, but you never can tell.
    So, for those of you that have been- let'er rip.
    We are going during the Christmas time, because school will be out, we have heard it is very pretty and festive, and to remove ourselves from the list of living in FL and have-never-been-there-yet scrutiny.
    We have some friends that go very often and they have already told us that under no circumstances will one trip ever get it accomplished...so we know to set boundaries, but I want to hear what anyone thinks a 7yo, 4yo and a 8mth old would enjoy...as well as a couple 34yo's.
    Please list things that you did and had a great time, things that you thought were NOT worth the wait/time/money, places you may have stayed, places you will NEVER stay again, anything relevant or not.
    Thanks!

Re: Disney

Matt

Look at Shades of Green, the military resort there. I have heard great things about it and Peggy posted some pictures in her blog.

I loved Epcot. That's about all I remember since I was 16 and hated my family.

Jenn

Comment

Don't try to squeeze in one more activity at the expense of nap time. We learned this one the hard way. We have a photo of Kendall face down on the pavement sobbing in front of the Epcot ball.

Don't forget to let the kids have free time at the park or at the pool instead of Disneymania 24/7.

Try to pack your own snacks and bottled water. Wear a fanny pack and comfortable shoes. (My apologies to the fashion gurus).

Pace yourself on the money by eating breakfast at the hotel that you brought from home. Tell the kids that they can get ONE souvenier (sp?) at the end of the trip.

Realize that the 7 y.o. and the 4 y.o. are goingt to want to do different things. Our seven year old had NO INTEREST in meeting the characters while that is all our two year old wanted to do.

Read up on other suggestions at allearsnet.com

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Shades of Green was really nice, and convenient. The pools are only outdoors, however, and when we were at Disney in the winter it was too cold to swim.

I would NOT do the "Mickey's Magical Holiday Party" or whatever it's called, simply because my friend went last year at Christmas and did buy the tickets, but was really disappointed. She also said that a lot of people were there who just stuck around the park after closing. Nothing was really special or magical about it for her...

I don't know if you'll find much that you'll like at Epcot this time round. Maybe you will, but our kids didn't get much out of it. The did have a Nemo pavilion and stuff that was really fun.

For the extra magic hours, I wouldn't bother with the morning. When we went to extra magic morning hours, they didn't even check to see if people had resort passes, so it just meant the park was crowded earlier than normal. The extra evening hours were nice- I would say take the 7 y.o. (You or your wife) to extra evening hours on his own and hit the big rides. The other 2 will be happier at the hotel. The extra evening hours start RIDICULOUSLY late (like 11 pm to 2 am or something).

Another option that I would be tempted to do is to NOT go to the park that has the extra hours. Especially for Magic Kingdom, which is open so late. To go there on a non-extra hour day may mean less people. Then you or your wife could go to MK later in the night with your 7 y.o. and still be there from, say, 7 to 11 and get a lot done. In theory!

For animal kingdom, go straight to Kilimanjaro safaris. Everyone can enjoy it, (I can't remember their policy for babies, though), and the lines quickly get brutal. When we went, they didn't have any "fastpasses" either.

Finally, get your fastpasses right away. Especially for your 7 y.o's rides. Then you or your wife can zip in there with the fast pass while everyone else is having a potty run or something.

It's easy to see how there are books written about "the world".
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I know this advice might be moot and not at all helpful, but if you can avoid it, I would NOT go over your Christmas break. That is THE most crowded time of the year, and it makes for a lot more stressful and less fun time when you have to wait in endless lines and bump into people just trying to walk around.

Avoid parks on extra magic hours days.

MOST CROWDED TIME OF THE YEAR
          Christmas through New Year's

EXTREMELY CROWDED
          Easter Week (Before and After)

REALLY CROWDED
          Fourth of July Week

CROWDED
          Spring Break (first week of March until mid April)
          Memorial Day Weekend
          Summer Break (second week of June until second week of August)
          President's Day until the end of February

A GOOD TIME TO GO
          End of April
          Early February
          Labor Day Weekend
          First two weeks of December

THE NEXT BEST TIME TO VISIT
          Beginning of October until Thanksgiving
          Week before Christmas

BEST TIME TO VISIT
          January
          September

What days are historically the busiest at the Parks?
          Walt Disney World parks tend to be the busiest on the following days:

Magic Kingdom: Monday, Saturday & Sunday
          Epcot: Wednesday & Friday
          Disney-MGM Studios: Tuesday, Wednesday & Saturday
          Animal Kingdom: Monday, Tuesday & Friday

Extra Magic Hour will have an impact on the crowds. You can find more details and information on those specific days by clicking here: http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/wea ... ovisit.asp
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We are throwing ourselves into the craziness of the worst time to go. Are you going this Christmas? We are going to be there Dec 29th thru Jan 4. We are staying at the Polynesian with a Magic Kingdom view. I would say if you are doing the disney dining plan to hurry and do your advance dining reservations.

http://www.disboards.com has been an invaluable source in answering all my questions.

Comment

I've been in the summer, the winter, for Christmas (including Christmas dinner at Morocco), fall and spring and I think the park is just crowded all the time! So just plan for there to be a lot of people.

I especially love Disney at Christmas.....it's just so magical!!

Yes I realize I sound like such a tool, but I don't care....I LOVE DISNEY!

Daegan was really too young to 'get it' this year but he enjoyed the sights and sounds anyway. My parents were the REAL reason we left the park at 5pm. They were tired.

You can get overwhelmed with spending money on food. What Russ and I do, is eat a decent breakfast early before getting to the park. Then throughout the day we split snacks. So like at 10 am we'd get a fruit bowl and some waters....then at lunch time, we'd split a turkey leg and a coke....then at like 3 pm we'd get a pretzel or popcorn or an ice cream depending on the weather...then we'd split a dinner (depending on how late we are staying at the park). Because you are walking around so much, I guess I don't get as hungry. Or maybe Russ' cheapness is rubbing off on me. Normally that amount of food would be consumed in one meal by just me!!

I prefer to stay at a hotel with several shuttle services....or one of the Disney hotels. I like having the catered ride to the parks. Parking at the park is very well organized, so don't be afraid of mass chaos. Disney has like super engineers or something and it's really easy...you park where they tell you....they don't let anyone get blocked in....and the line moves fast....they have shuttles that come like every 2 minutes to take you to the entrance so you don't have to wait. I've stayed at Dixie Landings which is part of the Disney resorts....it was fine but the whole southern theme really isn't my style (this was with a friend in HS who paid)....Russ and I most recently stayed at the Sheraton Safari hotel and we liked it. We have the Starwood Hotel points Amex and stayed using our points so I don't know how $$ it is. My mom, dad and I stayed at ?? and while they boast shuttle service to the park it was just one bus that didn't even run the day we went...so that sucked. Make sure to clarify the "shuttle service."

The most recent Christmas time that I was there was during 2000 so the Millennium stuff was still all out and the Christmas decorations...when I was in middle school (I think) we went for Christmas....and had a special Disney Christmas experience complete with hot chocolate with the characters and fake snow and Christmas dinner at Morocco in Epcot (you could pick any of the countries...my dad picked Morocco.) It was really cool....but I don't know how my mom scored that.

A definite plus about the Christmas time is the weather!! A crowded theme park is easier to deal with when it's no 95F and 100% humidity out!!!

Absolutely do fastpass. Not all the rides have it and you can only have 1 out at a time, but we did a lot of
              -get fastpass
              -eat/pee break/or get in line for another ride
              -go back to fastpassed ride....if you swing it, you can get the second fastpass before you get on the ride

The fastpasses are valid for an hour and IME were for about "the wait time" later....for the really popular rides you might get a fastpass for 3 or 4 hours later though, so if you can score a map of the park early, sorta plan your attack....at least make a list of the must-do rides/attractions.

Like Kelly said, you will not be able to do it all. I think that's the point of Disney....make you keep coming back. It's also why they change rides/attractions very couple of years.

Let me end this and then I'll add the park specific stuff I can think of.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Magic Kingdom

Probably my favorite park...and the one you should plan to spend an entire day at. We balance the long line rides with the inside, sit-down ones...I really enjoyed Mosters, Inc and almost skipped it....Mickey's Philharmagic is also good. I don't like the Country Bear Jamboree but go every year because it's my nap spot. I can ALWAYS fall asleep in there. Not sure if the little ones could or not, but I can! Carousel of Progress is another good "cool off/rest your feet" show. I wasn't impressed with the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride. BuzzLightyear was fun for me and Russ but it scared Daegan (shooting aliens). The Pirates of the Caribbean ride was redone and I still enjoyed it....it's more like the movie now...but the movie had a lot of the original ride in it so it's still good....but it does have a 'drop' early on that scared Daegan but will probably 'thrill' small riders. I think the rest of the rides were what I'd expect.

MGM

Probably my least favorite of the Disney parks. It has the Tower of Terror...which scares the crap outta me. I'm such a wuss I cried. The 4yo next to me loved it though. It's basically a free-fall ride. I just looked on the website and it looks like it has some new stuff so it might be better now...but have a backup plan in case...Russ and I hit it early one day and went to another park for the afternoon.

Epcot

Probably the most "adult" of the parks in that it has the least to do with Disney movies/shows. Mission Space was INTENSE...Russ and I both got a little lightheaded/queasy because of the G-forces or whatever. If I remember correctly, Norway is the only country with a good 'ride'...water boat kinda like the Pirates ride with a 'drop'. Sampling the foods ($$) at the different countries is cool and if I remember correctly they are all decorated country appropriately for Christmas.

Animal Kingdom

We went only 2 years after it opened and I'm sure it's even better now, but I loved it. I can't wait to go again and it's on my list of must do. I remember a Bug's Life show (probably not there anymore) that was great...and I liked the live action Lion King show too....but I'm not sure if those are still there. I don't remember there being a lot of rides...but the safari was good!

I really like Disney even if it is a huge corporation. The parks are very clean, there is no crime/sketchiness, the workers are very helpful and smiley, everything is price fixed so you won't find waters cheaper one booth over...it's definitely a well-oiled machine.

Hope that helps!
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We went to Disney last Halloween with our almost 3yo and she loved it. I am like Michele, I love Disney. We will be there for Thanksgiving but just for one day cause we are spending it with relatives in Orlando.

When I was a kid we went once a year every year. We almost always stay at Fort Wilderness. There is so much to do there. They have several pools, a petting zoo, pony rides, nightly free movies on the lawn with a sing along with Chip and Dale first, then smores making by the fire. The kids ride bikes all day and there are a million playgrounds. You get to the Magic Kingdom via boat and it is really quick. My parents were really frugal, when we went we would go for 5 or so days but only go to a park one or two days. Fort Wilderness kept us occupied the rest of the time.

The only other place I have stayed is the Grand Floridian bc my Dad had a conference there. It kicked butt but it kicks the budget too.

Magic Kingdom is my favorite, Animal Kindgom is cool but only for a day. I havent been to Epcot or MGM for around 10 years so I cant comment.

We always eat breakfast at the campsite, pack snacks, and try to head back for lunch and a nap, then go back after nap. Like I said, I was raised with frugal parents and I am cheap too- we usually cook at the campsite or go out of the park to eat. It is against my moral fiber to pay $75 for hamburgers and fries for four. I would rather spend that $$ on another day at the park, and the kids dont care as long as their tummies get full.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

even if you don't stay at SOG resort, you can go there in the morning to get your tickets. You only have to show military ID. THere are no "huge" discounts- but Matt, go to the website and look for deals for active duty who were recently deployed- they do have really good deals for them. I'm not sure if it's for E only, I think it's for all active duty- deployed w/in a certain time frame... I can't remember...

One thing to hit at MGM is the Parade, and then note that the Lightning McQueen and TowMater character "meets" happen after the parade- they have it listed on the schedule so check that. We almost missed it! That would have been very bad...

Also, for the FastPass, you can get another one I think 1 hour after your first is issued, so that helps. Check the allearsnet thing though (Deb's unofficial disney for google)-- a wealth of info.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We just got back from Disney World last month! It was my first adult trip and I have little to no memory of my childhood trips, so it was for all intents and purposes it was my 1st trip. We used a TA who was really awesome and really gave me a lot of valuable inside tips that made our trip a lot smoother. If you want her name and info, PM me and I'll be happy to give it to you!

We stayed on Disney property at their All Star Movies resort. It is a "value" resort and we went during "value season", so it was fairly inexpensive. It's not the nicest place, but we don't spend much time in the room and hey we're still in training, so we're very budget conscious. By staying somewhere inexpensive, we were able to spend a full week there with the kids and then send them home on the plane with my mom so we could spend an extra 4 days by ourselves.

We also took advantage of the free dining plan package Disney was offering at the time, so that saved us a TON of $$$ on food. We basically ate $200 dinners every day and didn't spend a penny! Disney does offer the dining plan, and had we not gotten it for free in our package, I would have paid for it in a heartbeat. It includes 1 counter service (fast food) meal, drink and dessert, 1 table service (restaurant) meal, which is appetizer, entree, dessert, and gratuity, and 1 snack (basically anything up to $4) per person per day. The cost for that is about $38 for adults and $11 for kids ages 3-9 per day. IMO it's well worth the expense. It was nice to go on vacation and know all the food is paid for (even gratuity!) so I wasn't having to price watch and could truly enjoy the experience. Oh and if you are planning on eating at restaurants (which you will be on the dining plan) you should make your advance dining reservations (ADR's) ASAP otherwise you will not be able to get in anywhere. I cannot stress that you enough. You can view all the menus to every single dining establishment on allearsnet.com.

I also recommend visiting allearsnet.com as it's a fabulous source of info and pictures. I also recommend signing up for their free weekly newsletter because it gives lots of good tips from the readers.

I would also make an effort to read The 2007 Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids. I read it from cover to cover and although DH was making fun of me constantly about being such an anal planner, let me tell you he was incredibly grateful once we got there. Disney World does require some planning in order to maximize the time you spend there. The guide also has a website that will tell you which parks to visit on which date. They have it down to a science! It has touring plans for each park which were extremely helpful and we never waited more than 15 minutes in any line! I am sure part of that was visiting in September, but you will definitely shave off a huge amount of time with a touring plan.

The midday break was essential to everyone's sanity during our trip. We would get up early which was very tough considering we are on Mountain time and getting up at 7 AM Eastern time is 5 AM for us. We'd get to the park we were going to based on the book recommendation at opening time and leave no later than noon to go back to the hotel and let the kids nap or swim. We'd get back to the park after we were rejuvenated and ready to do it again. This break gave everyone a break, avoided the midday heat and crowds.

As for the parks, the kids will probably enjoy Magic Kingdom the most. Depending on how long you're staying there, try to plan for 2 days there. Mickey's Philharmagic was the BEST show we watched the whole time we were there, DO NOT MISS IT! Animal Kingdom was probably my least favorite park. The Safari is a must do first thing in the morning. The animals are more active and you'll minimize the time you spend in line. Kali River Rapids is also a ton of fun, but you will get wet, so either bring ponchos or save it for the end of the day. MGM was okay, but it's more shows than rides, so be prepared for that. Epcot is great for adults, but there are some things there for the kiddos too. We saved World Showcase for after the kids were gone. Mission: Space was my all time favorite Disney ride, but keep in mind I'm a thrill seeker.

As for fast passes, there are life savers. A good tip most people don't know is you can return to the attraction ANYTIME after the start time on the pass. For example if the fast pass says to return between 1PM-2:30 PM, you can go anytime after 1PM. You can get another fast pass after the return start time on the pass. You don't necessarily have to have used the first fastpass yet. I know this is about as clear as mud now, but when you get there, it'll make more sense.

Mousebuzz.com is a message board forum that also has tons of good info. I hope this helps and you have a wonderful experience. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to PM me!
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                      X