Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Am I over-thinking it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I over-thinking it?

Ok, I have a weird question . My son is 21 months old, and of average size (well, his head is enormous) and he is slightly taller and heavier (between 50-75th percentile for both). He is typically a happy guy (he has his moments) and very active/busy. The issue we have is that he EATS LIKE A HORSE. At this age, it's too young for him to eat recreationally, right? I mean, right now he's a perfectly "normal" size by all the charts, but in light of all the hype about childhood obesity, etc, I just wonder when I should say no. I try to only give him healthy snacks and meals(with an occasional treat), but it seems he's never satisified. He always cleans his plate, never leaving a crumb behind. I don't want him to be hungry, but it seems as though 85% of his "meltdowns" are because he wants ANOTHER snack or more food, and I won't give it to him.

For instance, yesterday I picked him up from the sitter (where he has a snack about 3:00ish) and he wanted a snack at home (about 5:00pm). So I give him some cheerios to snack on while I make dinner (about 1/2 cup). He ate those and came back for more. I gave him a handful. He ate those and came back again. At this point, dinner was almost ready so I said NO (he freaked). Then we had dinner (ravioli and some baby carrots). He ate about 1/2 of an adult serving of ravioli, a full/large adult serving of carrots, and a cup of whole milk. He wanted more...I said NO...he freaked. See the pattern?
    After we get out of the kitchen and engage in another activity, he seems to chill out, but if we're in the kitchen, he has to eat. We have battles like this every day.

I don't want to give him a complex about food or anything, but I don't want to foster bad eating habits. As a child, I was chubby and it's no fun. I haven't had a weight issue for a long time, but I want to spare my son from having any issues like that. Am I projecting my own fears onto him? Should I just stop worrying about the food thing? Am I crazy? :huh:
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: Am I over-thinking it?

I don't have any advice, but had to say that I'm jealous. We have the opposite problem, I feel like DS hardly eats ANYTHING ... he's definitely on the picky side and eats like a bird. What I wouldn't give to have your problem!!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Ditto to everything. I think that kids that age eat what they need to, really. My oldest ate the most and she's slender. You never know what kind of growth spurt he's going through either.

It'll get easier to make a more "regular" meal time when he's older. Then you won't have to worry about snacking issues. But for now, I wouldn't worry at all.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That was my son too, and now my son is 9. He eats probably 4 full meals a day, and when I say full meals, more than double what dh eats. Seriously, I have never seen a kid eat this much, especially at 9 years old.

However, he is not overweight, not at all.

Does that look like an obese kid to you? As long as he stays slim, is moving his body, and is keeping healthy, I'd let the kid eat. It's worked for me. I really wouldn't worry about it.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ditto to Heidi.

Nikolai eats ALOT. but he also moves a lot throughout the day and his pants are generally falling off!

I've also noticed the trend of eating a ton (even more than normal) right before a growth spurt or language acquisition.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
            I've also noticed the trend of eating a ton (even more than normal) right before a growth spurt or language acquisition.

Jenn
            Ditto.

Comment

All good advice. The one thing you want to avoid is making food a battleground.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I agree with the other posters as well. As long as the food is healthful, as you said it is, then it is better to let them eat whatever they need. My 8 y.o. son has always had "hungry days" where he eats a ton - and he is quite lean.
                I read an article in a medical magazine just the other day that attributed childhood obesity to the amount of fast food/ junk food and the inactivity of media time, whether it is television, computer or video games. The article did not give specific numbers, just that the less of these two the better.

Comment

ITA. If you are concerned, just offer healthy snacks. Otherwise, I would let him be.
                  Needs

Comment

Just echoing what others have said. DS eats more than I or DF eats!!! he's 3! nd certainly not over weight, very average, he doesn't eat cakes or biscuits or chocolate or sweets.
                    breakfast: 2 weetabix with warm milk, 2 slices of toast, a small bowl of grapes and juice

lunch: pitta bread sandwiche, banana, an apple, maybe some crackers and juice/ a hot lunch might be bolognase, soup and bread, or toasted sandwiche, cold chicken sald (a whole leg and wing) and he has a yogurt afterwards

Dinner: potatoes ( a big one mashed with milk and a small bit of butter) meat (chicken, lamb, beef or pork) in whatever sauce, peas, carrots, dessert, his favourite is apple pie and custard.

Any snacks he has are fruit, cracker or a yogurt. He also walks/runs 4 miles a day and probably more as he usually runs in front and then back again then out in front again.

I think boys do eat more and then burn off the energy, If DS was at home eating that much and not gettong out he probably would be overweight, but then if it's raining and he doesn't get out he isn't as hungry.

Comment

Working...
                    X