Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

YOU choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOU choose

Why do I suck so much at making decisions? DD1 has expressed high interest in getting some sort of doll that she can dress. . .she mentioned "Barbie" but I really, really, really want to hold off on Barbie as long as I can. She is only 4.5yo.

So should I get the Kelly doll with clothes (Barbie's little sister)

OR

the Angelina Ballerina doll with her friend Alice and all of their clothes??

Decisions. . .decisions. . .

Re: YOU choose

That was my thought too. I second American Girl. You can even get the books to go with to read to her, which will give her a story along with her doll. You know, better than the Barbie story.

Comment

I thought about the AG dolls but I don't think she is going to go for that. She has never been into baby dolls and I fear those are too similar to that. DD is a very unique bird. . .her favorite character from Cinderella? Lady Tremaine. from 12 Dancing Princesses? Rowena. She is just not a "girly-girl" type of girl despite the fact that she wants to dress a doll in 40 different outfits.

Comment

I wanted to stay away from the Barbie thing for as long as possible too. We pretty much stay with the princess Barbies that come out every year. I know the decisions are hard. There is so much out there is it overwhelming.
        Needs

Comment

American Girls dolls are a whole different thing from Barbie. Big, expensive and ....well...expensive. Cheapskate me, speaking up again. I just ordered my daughter's for Christmas and it nearly killed me. :> Geesh. $80. Doll. Gag. But.....she will love it!

I recommend the Only Hearts Girl dolls. I've seen them at Target. They are Barbie sized, posable, soft bodied and have clothing options. They also have books to go along wih them - but they aren't historical. They have different "personalities" and the come with little pets. My daughter only has one - the mermaid - but she does love it. The hair is cool too. You can brush it and it is very long and soft. Heck....I want these dolls for Christmas. :>
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

How about the Groovy Girls? Or Polly Pockets (minus the leaded paint )?

Comment

Try an Only Hearts Club doll. They are very similar to barbies, but are soft, pliable and appropriate. They're actually cuter in person than you can tell from the website.

Karina Grace
              http://www.target.com/Karina-Grace-West ... lub&page=1

Anna Sophia Doll
              http://www.target.com/Anna-Sophia-Engli ... lub&page=1

They also have a ballerina and a little house for them, etc.

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I second Kris' idea!

We don't do Barbie in our house...someday maybe that will change but I'm going to hold out AS LONG AS I CAN.

DD has a couple of these and they are cute, have no breasts, and LOTS of outfits.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Those look cute!

I'm SO glad that there is an alternative to Barbie!

We're still in the Cabbage Patch Kid stage here.
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I don't mind Barbies- or princess dolls. I don't like dressing them, and most of them end up decapitated (boys), but they are cheap... And I don't feel bad throwing them away when the hair gets all ratty.

The AG dolls are not good for under 8 y.o., IMO. Kate got one when she was 5, and she cut its hair. I was pregnant and taking a nap, so I had no idea. I totally flipped. It cost $30 for a new head at the "AG doll hospital."

They do have "Bitty Babies" from the AG website.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!!!! (!!) You veteran moms really know your stuff! I think my mom is going to get her one more Only Hearts doll. She bought the princess Only hearts doll last Christmas and it didn't get played with very much. Maybe b/c she didn't have a friend and/or clothes to change?

I think I'm going to take a big risk and go with this Angelina set that I am looking at on ebay. It has the 2 stuffed dolls and at least 30 different "fairy tale" outfits to go with the dolls. One of her most favorite things to do is act out fairy tales so I'm hoping that she will go for this. Hope is the key word.

Comment

AG dolls are wonderful. We have 4! And lots of accessories... Izzy isn't into them yet, Kate is "too cool" now, so... they are in storage for a while...

It sounds like a great deal with all those Angelina outfits! I say happy bidding!!!
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                        X