Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Favorite Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Book

If you had to pick one book that you couldn't have done without as a new parent, what would it be? How about your DH or DW, what would they pick? I want to get a book for a mom & dad to be and really have no idea, as it has been a while since I was a new mom.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Re: Favorite Book

I like Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's by an actual doctor who runs a sleep lab-- it's fairly clinical, but really helped me a lot. All I cared about, especially with my first, was the sleeping... Well, that's what I mostly cared about.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I haven't read it yet - but a friend of mine gave me her copy of that. She says its been invaluable with her two kids.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

One of my favorite new mommy books was The Girlfriend's Guide to the First Year. I also had read The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. They are written in more of a comical fashion and that helped me keep the trying times in perspective. I got both of them for my BFF who had her first child this year.
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I second all of the above (LOVE Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child). It's probably obvious, but I also really like What to Expect the First Year.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I had all the books and read them all. As we've discussed here before, that's not always a good thing! I was happiest with Penelope Leach Your Baby and Child for general baby/kid advice (0-5 years) - and The Mother's Almanac for general parenting-on-a-day-to-day basis. The Mother's Almanac goes from 0-7 years of age and there is a second edition that goes from 7-14. It is the only book I have returned to after the toddler years. That's probably why it made my list.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

What was the name of the book that was written by one of our fellow med spouses? I gave it to my BFF and my SIL and they loved it. Come on Kris- what was it? My brain is gone.

Jenn

Comment

I was happiest with Penelope Leach Your Baby and Child for general baby/kid advice (0-5 years) -

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                  What was the name of the book that was written by one of our fellow med spouses? I gave it to my BFF and my SIL and they loved it. Come on Kris- what was it? My brain is gone.

Jenn
                  Are you thinking of Mothershock? If so, another excellent suggestion.
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Happiest Baby on the Block or something like that. For getting through the first few months, especially with a fussier babe, this book was invaluable. It is quick to read, reassuring, and works (though not as well as I had hoped!).

Beyond those first few months, I like having books that include developmental information and health info.

I like a smattering of books and taking advice here and there. I liked parts of the Sears books. He's on the crunchier side of the spectrum. Having some information on breastfeeding was really helpful. I ended up Medela handouts from a lactation consultant but I was sorely (ha!) wanting for a good nursing reference when I came home with my first.

Comment

YES- Mothershock

I also gave my brother The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Maintenance which he really liked.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                        Happiest Baby on the Block
                        That's been mine so far.
                        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                          Come on Kris- what was it? My brain is gone.

Jenn
                          You're asking ME? I actually bought the book once, read it and thought it was fabulous and then....bought it a few months later, read it and thought it was fabulous and went to review it on her and discovered that I had ALREADY read it and reviewed it.

I don't have any brain cells left.!
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                            It's probably obvious, but I also really like What to Expect the First Year.
                            This book helped me keep my sanity during that first week after DS was born. I had it by my side 24/7. The Girlfriend's Guides freaked me out a bit...they were funny, but in a horrifying way.

Comment

I loved the "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It gives a million different suggestions of things you can do to help foster good sleeping habits (but NOT sleep-training). Very helpful once DS was about 4-6 months old.
                              I reccommend that book to everyone!
                              Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

Working...
                              X