Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

BoyScouts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoyScouts...

Andrew has been dying to join scouting, so we went to the organizational meeting last night...Holy COW, they really demand a lot of your time! Anyone else with scouting experience? We will be having weekly Den meetings and monthly pack meetings...plus all of the extra activities. I got squeezed into volunteering to organize certain things as well I'm feeling a bit queezy about the amount of effort that will be expected from me...because Finny wants to be a BROWNIE scout as well....

How on earth do you guys manage all of the diff activities for your children?????

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Cub scouting is MY LIFE!!!! With four boys I figure I have 9 years left!!! I was a den leader when Jacob was only 4. I was asked to do it through our church. I did that for 2 years. Then I was the Pack Committee Chairman and my hubby was the Cubmaster for the last 2 years in Arizona. I am now the decorating committee person every month!!

I am a BIG FAN of scouting. It can take a lot of time occasionally but I really believe it teaches kids great values and skills, plus the making of new friends and having fun. For me, cub scouting isn't quite as time consuming anymore because I have two boys in it. I was doing one thing for two kids, which made me want to put more effort in. I don't know how I am going to handle it when Jacob turns 11 in November and goes into regular Boy Scouts. Then I will be running in all directions .... AGAIN!

If you get a good den leader and cubmaster, it is a great experience. Hang in there.

Robin

Comment

WOW!

You are definately my new hero, Robin....I don't know how on earth you manage all that you do. I really feel overwhelmed by all that I have to do now for the boyscouts and brownies...I'm a wimp, I guess. Andrew is so happy about it though... Friday there was a homecoming parade and the scouts were marching in it and holding a flag...and we all got to do it with him because there weren't enough people and the flag was monstrous....Andrew was so proud and Andrew and Amand had a blast too...It was really fun, and I felt included too. I have the feeling that scouting is really a 'family' thing?

Kris

Comment

I think it is a family thing. The parade sounded like fun. They get to go on some cool fieldtrips and I have always taken all my kids along. Don't miss Scout-o-Rama if they have it. No one has mentioned it here in Texas (yet) but it was AWESOME in Arizona and Utah. All the different packs set up booths with different displays and activities. Then the scouts come and try out everything. They will have everything from rock climbing, rubberband shooting contests, stilts, science activities, military vehicles they can climb in etc. My boys absolutely loved it. A full day of entertainment geared towards boys for free if they wear their uniform! Can't beat that.

Don't get yourself too busy that it isn't fun anymore. I have done that before and then I was just miserable. I quit volunteering at everything. I just couldn't do it all. I stick with things that I can do at home or with all the kids. I don't go to the school to help because of Dallin. I do have the teachers send home stuff for me to trace and cut out etc. on the weekends and I keep in touch by e-mail with the teachers and notes. BUT, no more homeroom mom for awhile and I don't volunteer for any major PTA positions.

You are definitely not a wimp. I can't believe how much you do!!!! Do what you can and want and don't feel guilty.

Robin

Comment

scouting

Scout-O-Rama sounds like fun....as long as I don't have to work several booths I think you really hit the nail on the head about not taking on too much. I want to be involved in what the kids do, but I'm afraid that I'm going to overextend myself and then lose my mind and have it all be work instead of fun.

I'm volunteering in Finny's room every Wednesday and so I feel like to be fair I have to do the same for Andrew....so I have volunteered for Fridays for his classroom. With teaching and scouts for both of them, I really feel like I have a FULL plate!!!

Do your boys go to camp? That is probably the main reason that Andrew joined...and it's all he talks about. They wre already making plans for the camp this summer on our first meeting night and he can't wait. They are also having a lock-in at the middle school this year....they really have a lot of fun things.....

Kris

Comment

Working...
          X