Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kids' activities in DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids' activities in DC?

DH has a meeting in Washington, DC in May. He's going free so if I tag along it's like a half-price vacation.

Eddy will be almost 19 months by then, and we'd have to entertain ourselves for at least half the day. Looks like the hotel is about 4+ miles from the Mall (2500 Calvert Street NW at Connecticut Ave. if that means anything.)

So...is there a museum or library that the boy would enjoy or should we just take a pass on the 4.5 hour flight for a 3 day stay?

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: Looks like the hotel is pretty easy access to the Metro Red Line, I remember riding that when I visited as a teenager! Oh, and the National Zoo is also within walking distance! Hrm...
    Alison

Re: Kids' activities in DC?

OMG -

there is SOOOO much to do that it's just crazy.

There is a Children's Museum (it was under reconstruction but it should be open now)

The zoo is right up the Metro line and is free (as are all of the Smithsonian museums)

the Sculpture gardens on the mall are great for dude wandering (there are two).

the tidal basin is great for duck watching and if you want, you can rent the paddle boats and take him out to see the ducks.

the WWII monument is water based which is always great with small people.

There's a carousel in front of the Smithsonian castle which is great fun for all.

and that's just what I could come up with off the top of my head.

The weather should be awesome.

Jenn

Comment

Free is good! I was leaning away from it but you make me wanna go. Thanks!
      Alison

Comment

I just reread that and I described everything as great. but they ARE!

Also worth a peek is the Natural History Museum- they have a Bug display (sponsored by Orkin) and they have a 'show' every few hours. Most of the kids think it's fun to see the bugs. Even the littlest ones seem to enjoy it.

Eddy is too young but the Spy Museum is also fun. (if you want something for you to do)

and the Musuem of Women in the Arts just reopened after a massive redo and it's supposed to be fantastic.

Jenn

Comment

Well, dang, Google has cached a blurb stating the National Children's Museum is "slated to open in 2008" but the current page has been updated to read, "scheduled to open in 2012." Boo.

But, looks like we are on for the trip! Thanks for the input. Julia, I'll shoot you a PM when we're closer.
          Alison

Comment

The children's museum... is apparently kind of a mess. As in, leadership down... Who knows when it will open, and if it will open. :huh:
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That sucks because it was really cool.

Baltimore has one but you'll have more than enough to do as it is.

oh, I thought of one more thing to do- there's an aquarium in the basement of the Treasury (i think it's the Treasury) that pretty much is lame except if you're under 4. But- it's a great rainy day back up if you get some weather. My nephew loves it and it's a lot closer to my brother than the FAB aquarium in Baltimore.

Jenn

Comment

Ooh, the basement, that reminds me, does anyone know if you can still ride the train from the basement of the House and Senate buildings into the Capitol?

Someone else recommended the FDR memorial as the kids like to look at the water feature? And my MIL said the Botanical Garden is worth seeing (she's a plant nut!)
                Alison

Comment

I don't think the nether regions are open any more unless you're with a staffer.

There are two plant places- the Botanical Garden on the Mall (in front of the Capitol) which was completely redone in 2006. Not stroller friendly but it does have fun kid activities from what friends tell me. There's also the Arboretum which is a HUGE park on NY Ave. (not Metro accessible but definitely cab-able) It has a gorgeous Japanese garden area.

The FDR is very kid friendly- they kind of discourage wading in the pools because when it first opened a whole bunch of nursery schools from MD and VA showed up for the day, camped out and let the kids 'play'. and well, there were accidents. Not Cool for a national monument! But it's definitely splashable. Petey always enjoyed getting his drinks there and at the WWII memorial.

Jenn

Comment

The FDR memorial was one of our favorite places because it is so peaceful with all of the moving water. They have signs that discourage playing in the water, but I think your little guy will still enjoy watching the waterfalls.

Comment

I love the Postal Museum. IMO, it's great for small kids. It's right across from Union Station,free, barely ever crowded, and you can go through it quickly.
                      Peggy

Comment

If you go to the arboretum, there is a tram ride that takes you through it all. My kids love the koi in the visitors station at the start. I'm not sure I'd tackle the arboretum without a car, though. We go there and have a picnic a couple times a year...

I like the Japanese gardens there too.
                        Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                          DH has a meeting in Washington, DC in May. He's going free so if I tag along it's like a half-price vacation.

Eddy will be almost 19 months by then, and we'd have to entertain ourselves for at least half the day. Looks like the hotel is about 4+ miles from the Mall (2500 Calvert Street NW at Connecticut Ave. if that means anything.)

So...is there a museum or library that the boy would enjoy or should we just take a pass on the 4.5 hour flight for a 3 day stay?

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: Looks like the hotel is pretty easy access to the Metro Red Line, I remember riding that when I visited as a teenager! Oh, and the National Zoo is also within walking distance! Hrm...

If you go to the zoo, arriving there get off at the Cleaveland Park stop, and then when leaving get on at the Woodley Park/Zoo stop. That way you don't have to push a stroller UP a hill- it's still a little hike to the zoo entrance, but going down hill helps tremendously. The new sloth exibit/Panda area is worth it-- I probably wouldn't go all the way down to the lions and big cats, because then you have to climb (push the stroller) up a big hill on the return. If you stop at the small mammal house or something and go back up to Cleaveland ave that would be good. My kids at that age prefered the bird exhibits though! (Also near the Cleaveland ave entrance-- to the right of the sloth/Panda area, on TOP of the hill.) The birds were pretty active, and the enclosures were low to the ground so they could see while still in the stroller.

*If you go to the zoo, the food they sell there is really really bad. Either bring something with you, or DCJenn suggested some nice eateries around there that I've always been too exhausted to try out. I think one was a pizza joint... I usually just bring some sandwiches or something...
                          Peggy

Comment

Yay, thanks for all the input! I wasn't particularly thinking of going to the Capitol, I just remember how deliciously insider-ish I felt on my second visit to DC, to bypass the long lines waiting for the Capitol entrance and just pop down to the basement of the boring ol' Senate building. This was pre-9/11 though.

It would be great if the orchids were still there in early May! My MIL is a huge orchid enthusiast and my DH takes great photos. Stroller friendly shouldn't be a problem, as we're planning to take the frame backpack.

The Woodley Park Metro station is actually just .2 miles from the hotel! Hm, maybe we could aim to start on the south end and walk north and catch the Metro for .7 miles back. LOL. Thanks for the insider tips, these are the things you don't get from Googling.
                            Alison

Comment

They have been known to extend popular exhibits though!

and the zoo is a GREAT workout. It's hilly but if you really want a fab walk, go from one end to the other. I used to take my Stroller Strides ladies to the zoo every Saturday morning.

Jenn

So- you're at the Wardman Park Marriott? If you are, it's got a GREAT brunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X