Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

moments where you shouldn't be laughing at what your kid did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moments where you shouldn't be laughing at what your kid did

Do you ever have those moments where you know you shouldn't be laughing at what your kid just did, but you do anyway?

My kids are little, so I just had my first moment today.

Meghan & Micaiah are just now getting to the point where they can understand a range of basic commands (go get the diaper, give that to mama, don't touch that, put it in the basket, etc.). Very few discipline battles as yet.

They also need to gain more weight, so we plopped down on the kitchen floor today for a quick snack of steak fries between meals. Micaiah really wasn't hungry, so he'd put a fry in his mouth, take it back out, and then throw it across the floor. I told him, "Don't throw it," but he did it again - and again. I finally got him to stop, but then he started setting the fries on the floor and looking at me to see if I'd get mad. I figured that was acceptable (it's not like I'd provided him with a plate), so I didn't say anything about it.

So next he picked up a fry, scooted himself over to the dog crate (empty), set the fry inside, and closed the door. I was busy with Meghan, so I only saw this out of the corner of my eye. What I did see was Micaiah turning around to check if that was ok. It wasn't. He could see I was trying to decide how to respond, so he immediately broke into a VERY ornery, self-satisfied grin. That little buster knew he was getting around my "rule!" I busted up - couldn't help it! He was so cute, and so proud of himself.

This is just the beginning, I know. My kids are going to learn how to work my sense of humor, and I can see already that they'll grow up spoiled! Please tell me there is hope for us!

Re: moments where you shouldn't be laughing at what your kid did

That is funny! I have noticed that with my little guy too...he tends to check out my reaction to everything he does. He seems to know when he is up to no good, and when I say "No" he starts to flail his little arms around like he is a little bird. It cracks me up. I try not to react to it though, but sometimes...

Comment

In my experience, this is so much more common with the twins than the other kids. They really do encourage each other to get into some "situations" even if 1 of them is the instigator-- that would be my son, Steven. He'd assign Izzy to lookout position while he was getting into all sorts of glorious trouble. You have to give them props for being ingeneous-- I know what you mean about not wanting to laugh!!

Lately I've had trouble not laughing AT my youngest with his ultra-dramatic fits. He's just so cute when he stomps off indignantly-- all 35 pounds of him. He stomps AND pumps his arms... It's so cute. I shouldn't laugh, but sometimes I can't help it.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

It's bad, isn't it? I usually burst out loud laughing at the WORST times, like when he's talking back to me. I just can't help it. I'm not going to cave in anyway so it's just funny. I'm usually thinking something along the lines of "who in the hell do you think you are?". and then I burst out loud laughing.

Oh well, I guess it's better than the other end of the spectrum and beating him senseless.

Jenn

Comment

He's just so cute when he stomps off indignantly-- all 35 pounds of him. He stomps AND pumps his arms... It's so cute.
          Haha! I can totally picture it! If only adults were so cute.

Oh well, I guess it's better than the other end of the spectrum and beating him senseless.
          True - A good sense of humor should be required in order to become a parent (or a medical spouse/SO, come to think of it).

Comment

We usually have these fighting-not-to-crack-up moments with DS, but lately we've been having them with DD2, too. Here's an example of one of her little ditties.

DD2: "Mom, do we have to get all new clocks when we move?"
            Me: "I don't think so. The ones we have all seem to work fine. What would we need new ones for?"
            DD2: "But aren't we moving to a different time zone?
            Me: <trying to figure out where she's going with this> "Yes, our new time zone will be 3 hours ahead of this one."
            DD2: "Don't we need to get new clocks then?"
            Me: <trying my best not to bust out laughing> "No, DD2. We can just reset the time on the clocks we already have."
            DD2: <sheepishly> "Oh."

Comment

We call Lorien "a little peanut" because she is small for her age. Well Reed, who is 2 1/2 yrs old, get's confused and says "Ror-ean such a wittle penis." I have taught him the correct terminology for his parts. It takes everything in me to not bust a gut as I say "Lorien is a little pea-NUT." To which he then repeats and says it correctly the second time.
              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by Amiens
                We call Lorien "a little peanut" because she is small for her age. Well Reed, who is 2 1/2 yrs old, get's confused and says "Ror-ean such a wittle penis." I have taught him the correct terminology for his parts. It takes everything in me to not bust a gut as I say "Lorien is a little pea-NUT." To which he then repeats and says it correctly the second time.
                Reminds me of when my nephew told some guy he had a really big stick - only he still pronounced his "st" sounds like "d."

Going back & reading my first post... seems like a long time ago. And wow - I have had a LOT more of those ornery, "getting away with it" type grins - from both of my kids - since then. Sometimes funny, sometimes maddening.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb7456
                  Reminds me of when my nephew told some guy he had a really big stick - only he still pronounced his "st" sounds like "d."
                  I remember the spring where Caleb walked around the neighborhood shouting, "Wook Momma, a dick!" at the top of his lungs... It was so cute.
                  Kris

Comment

Working...
                  X