Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Excellent Parenting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Parenting...

Precisely why I can't be a SAHM:

Nikolai has spent more time in his jammies than out over the last four days. He's done nothing but watch his Elmo and Thomas videos or play in his room. (well, we did buy paint yesterday and go to the pool)

Have we done anything interesting or educational? Nope- I'm up on a ladder prepping rooms for painting and he's entertaining himself.

Luckily my parents are taking him for next week and THEY have lots of cool stuff planned. Maybe his brain won't entirely turn to mush in his two weeks off from school.

He did just go into the kitchen and get himself a banana for his snack so I guess that's good! At least he didn't grab the Spongebob Cheez-its.

I don't know how people can do this full-time.

Jenn

Re: Excellent Parenting...

Ha Ha Jenn! We have those days more often that I want to admit! I figure at least Elmo and Thomas are somewhat educational.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Is he safe, dry, happy & loved? Sounds good to me!

Comment

We went to the same mom school. Our "all alone at home days" (mostly Saturdays that DH is on-call) usually are composed of: hanging around the house all morning in our jammies--DS plays with Legos and looks at books while I do chores and tell him to stop pestering me; going to Target then the grocery in the afternoon (SO much fun for a 4-yr-old!); completely forgetting to eat any "real meals" and pretty much snacking all day; foregoing nap (who wants the struggle?); then, in the evening, maybe going up to the hospital to see DH for a quick bite and to swing over to the playground across the street (not really because I want a well-rounded day of outside activities, but because it is a total time-killer). Then, DS goes into the bathtub for at LEAST an hour (more time-killing).

I have a friend who has all these amazing structured activities for her kid: they are constantly going to museums, art houses, unique parks, mommy-and-me things at unusual places, on and on and on. She's going to have the most cosmopolitan, sophisticated kid on the planet. Who's never had anything non-organic on his plate and who is constantly "reaffirmed" so that he can achieve his fullest sense of self-esteem and actualization. I am sure that he's going to grow up to be a famous, genius musician or artist or architect or something. My kid's favorite food is frozen waffles and his favorite thing to do on the weekends is to go up to my office, so he can "write orders for the judge, like Mom." Totally not healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
          Originally posted by Jane
          Ditto!

Umm, is there a problem with staying in jammies all day and watching lots of tv? If there is then I am in huge trouble because those items are on the top of our list for how to spend summer days.
          Count me in. That's why I think preschool is so essential for our younger DD. We both need a break from each other and she gets some arts and crafts in that I otherwise wouldn't do because I am not in the least bit crafty and the mess would stress me out.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Don't discount the educational value of "pajama days". We are currently in a strictly enforced "boredom" pattern here until school starts. My kids had almost lost the ability to entertain themselves because of so many scheduled outings and activities. They wake up, look at me and say "What are we doing today?" Ummm, no. I am not Julie the Cruise Director. Find your own meaningful activity. After five full days of whining, they are again making up games and playing together. Sometimes, you need to let them be bored and complain. Turn OFF the TV and the video games if you think they are doing too much of that - and point out the blocks, crayons, and what have you. Boredom in little kids is good for the imagination. Don't knock it.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Well, we survived the three days- I'm back at work and it's Dad's turn to entertain.

Luckily the dude plays exceptionally well by himself and basically kept himself entertained- played outside, played inside and didn't watch 'too' much in the way of Elmo and Thomas.

The boys did a dude triathalon last night- first they took a spin on the big boy bike, then went swimming and then walked over to the Mexican place where I met them (I escaped to the gym). In the pool they were wearing their matching bathing suits that I bought for Father's Day- too cute, I have to say.

Of course, TODAY they are going to do VERY fun boy stuff like go look at motorcycles.

I wanted to spend more time w/ him doing fun stuff but I also need to get this house painted.

Jenn

Comment

Heck, my kids do their math and spelling in their pj's half the time.

Who cares?

Like Jane stated - Are they happy? Are they safe? Are they loved?

Everything else is purely a cultural issue.
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                  I have a friend who has all these amazing structured activities for her kid: they are constantly going to museums, art houses, unique parks, mommy-and-me things at unusual places, on and on and on. She's going to have the most cosmopolitan, sophisticated kid on the planet. Who's never had anything non-organic on his plate and who is constantly "reaffirmed" so that he can achieve his fullest sense of self-esteem and actualization. I am sure that he's going to grow up to be a famous, genius musician or artist or architect or something. My kid's favorite food is frozen waffles and his favorite thing to do on the weekends is to go up to my office, so he can "write orders for the judge, like Mom." Totally not healthy.
                  I wanted to just reading this. What's wrong with watching Elmo?!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                    Precisely why I can't be a SAHM:

Nikolai has spent more time in his jammies than out over the last four days. He's done nothing but watch his Elmo and Thomas videos or play in his room. (well, we did buy paint yesterday and go to the pool)

Have we done anything interesting or educational? Nope- I'm up on a ladder prepping rooms for painting and he's entertaining himself.

Luckily my parents are taking him for next week and THEY have lots of cool stuff planned. Maybe his brain won't entirely turn to mush in his two weeks off from school.

He did just go into the kitchen and get himself a banana for his snack so I guess that's good! At least he didn't grab the Spongebob Cheez-its.

I don't know how people can do this full-time.

Jenn
                    Um, yeah, we call that "Tuesday" around here. Or maybe it's Wednesday....or Monday.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                      I have to know, why dry? My kids are wet all the time?
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                      X