Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lactation room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactation room

My little sis just started taking classes towards a new degree today. She is nursing her six month old. She spoke to the assistant dean for student affairs last week about a lactation room, and this person told her in thirty years no one had ever asked for one but she would try to find something for her. This lady called her back today and suggested- an outdoor public restroom and for my sister to bring a stadium seat with her!! My sister isnt even sure there is a plug in there. She said it was dirty and gross. I was trying to give her advice- like a study room in the library or reserving a conference room but she said she already asked and was told the study rooms have clear glass and the conf rooms are double booked. She lives in FL so pumping quickly in her car would be tough bc of the heat.
    Any suggestions for her? I am really appalled for her.
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: Lactation room

How modest is she? The reason I ask is that I pumped using my nursing cover on several occasions. So if she were to use one of the study rooms with glass windows she could sit with her back to the windows and cover the pump with her nursing cover. That's really all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think she should ask the HR department what they do for their employees. I find it hard to believe that no one else has needed this space - and I know that there are some rules requiring that space be provided for HR.

Comment

They have to give her a space!!! I'm outraged for her. My less-than-mature solution would be to show up at the assistant dean for student affairs office and pump with one of those industrial machines in the lobby.

Empty classrooms? Locker room? Come on! They have to do better than restroom with stadium seat.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Jenn has a good point, I bet HR would have a much better solution.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
            They have to give her a space!!! I'm outraged for her. My less-than-mature solution would be to show up at the assistant dean for student affairs office and pump with one of those industrial machines in the lobby.

Empty classrooms? Locker room? Come on! They have to do better than restroom with stadium seat.

Outdoor restroom? GROSS

Maybe the dean would like to eat lunch in there.

Comment

That is just terrible!

Comment

I agree with asking HR and I would also ask any professors she knows who have been pregnant. It's likely the unofficial lactation room is near the offices. We had an official one at the vet school over by the attendings' offices.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

That is ! I was working while nursing and although there wasn't a lactation room that was designated, I was able to convince HR to create a "quiet room" with curtains and I used that.

She needs to be persistant and I'm sure they will eventually accomodate her. It's just that she's having to jump through hula hoops.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                  X