Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The horrible, terrible, no good, very bad weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The horrible, terrible, no good, very bad weekend.

This weekend goes down as our worst weekend ever.

DS (who is nearly 6) had a fever on Friday ranging between 102-103 axillary. No big deal, motrin and a nap worked wonders. He stayed home from school, much to his delight. We did have to cancel our plans to visit family for a wedding, but we will be able to make it up this coming weekend so the kiddo can see his cousins.

But Saturday is a day I want to forget.

At 5 am, he was fussing in his sleep and I gave him some motrin because he was hot to the touch. Best guess puts it in the 102-103 range. At that time I noticed that his upper lip was swollen, but I didn't have my glasses on and it was dark in his room.

When I finally woke him at 9:15 after 14-1/2 hours of sleep I noticed that he was mumbling when he talked, but his fever was completely gone. I didn't make a huge deal of it thinking that he was still groggy from so much sleep. Later that morning, we also noticed that he was having a hard time thinking of what word to use. This prompted us to look at him more closely. There was a slight but noticable (to us anyway) droop on the right side of his face. He struggled while playing Candyland to move his marker without knocking it over and to remember what color was on the card he had drawn, not to mention that he had to draw a card period.

Sunday he improved slightly. Words were coming a bit easier and some of his fine motor coordination had improved. Luckily, the gross motor wasn't affected.

When we took him in, the conclusion was that it was a very mild case of encephilitis caused by an enterovirus. (not sure of the spellings). He is at kindergarden today because he isn't contagious and was bored to death at home. Personally, it is killing me to be sitting here at work instead of right next to him. His teacher is being great about it and we chatted for a few minutes this morning about how we are addressing the struggle when searching for words. (Letting him try and then prompting if he gets frustrated or discouraged).

Throw in the stress from some stuff that DH is dealing with at school and pregnancy hormones and I am a complete wreck. I couldn't sleep last night and just sobbed. If DH hadn't been there to do upteen neuro exams and to check the optic nerve (which was not swollen) I don't know that I could have made it through the weekend.
    Kris

Re: The horrible, terrible, no good, very bad weekend.

Oh my Gosh!!!!

Glad he's Ok now and big hugs to you.....that must have been so scary!

Comment

Oh, how scary!!! I'm glad he's going to be okay, how long do they think the symptoms will last?

((BIG HUGS)) to you, I would be completely freaking out.
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

i'm so very sorry. hugs to your and your ds.

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

OMgoodness! I'm so happy that he appears to be on the mend. That is just freaky scary!

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

It was really scary - I thought he had had a stroke except for the fever the previous day.

Best guess on complete resolution is anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks.
            Kris

Comment

Just terrifying! I'm so glad he's on the mend!

Comment

hang in there!
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That's a mommy nightmare. You are handling it well! I hope he recovers soon and that your whole family has a better weekend next week.

Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Very scary! I'm glad he's recovering, hang in there. BIG hugs!
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Holy Moly!

Glad all is well.

Jenn

Comment

The week will just slowly get better and better - I hope you can sleep well tonight.

Comment

Oh how scary! I'm glad to here that he is improving.
                          Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

OMG parenting is such a roller coaster , especially when they fall ill!
                            My heart goes out to you.
                            Hang in there, you really do have a lot on your plate!

Comment

I'd be a wreck, too! I hope he's been improving steadily.

Comment

Working...
                              X