Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The girl who cried wolf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The girl who cried wolf.

Last week I got a call from DD1's (almost 5yrs old) preschool teacher saying she was sick and need to be picked up. After getting her home, I could see there was absolutely nothing wrong with her.

This is the second time this has happened. I am at work while she is at school so to pick her up when she is not sick is not easy for me. She goes to a very small very crunchy school. I know if I talk to the teacher, her view will be that if DD says she is sick we need to respect that and she needs to be at home.

I am not quite sure how to handle this- it seems like DD knows if she just says the word sick she will get to go home.
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: The girl who cried wolf.

I don't have a good answer, but I would be wondering if there is something happening at school that she wants to avoid. With my kiddo, that is what I would think and "sick" is a great reason, in their little minds, to get out of it.
    Kris

Comment

I used to do this when I was in Catholic School. I hated it and would tell the teacher I was sick and my mom would leave work to come and pick me up...It all stopped once I changed schools. Maybe there is something that she doesn't like about her school...I hope it works out.
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

That is a tough situation. I am not sure there is much you can do with the school, but I would make being "sick" very boring/ not worth it at home.
        Needs

Comment

We had this happen with DS2 for a while...in his case it wasn't about the school...it was about hanging out at home with mommy! He needed more time 1 on 1 with me and after I clued in to what was going on we did 2 things...I planned a date with him once a week and 2, since then whenever any of the kids comes home sick they are in bed in their room until the next day (other than meals and baths) once it wasn't quite to so fun, he preferred to stay at school.

Comment

Wow. That's kind of odd that they don't have set guidelines of what constitutes "sick". Usually, uncontrollable bodily fluids or a temp over 100.5F are the only real deal breakers.

And since when does an adult defer to the experience and knowledge of a preschooler? Respecting a child doesn't mean you substitute their opinions for your own.

Comment

Working...
            X