Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

party ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• party ideas?

Next month my little guy turns three and we are thinking about throwing a party for him. I'm generally not in the habit of having 4 to 6 toddlers and preschoolers underfoot, so I'm a little unsure how to go about doing this.

My first question is time---what is the best time of day? We're talking about a group that generally naps from 1-3. But then cake and ice cream in the morning or before dinner probably doesn't work either. What is my best bet here?

What kind of games and activities do you all suggest. I LOVED having a pinata when I was a kid for my late Spring birthday, but I cringe when I think about giving a bunch of blindfolded preschoolers a bat to swing about in my house. Not that our furniture is anything special but I kind of like walls without holes in them.

Any suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Kelly, when my older son turned 3, we had a party at Chuck E. Cheese's. We kept it small (invited about 4-5 kids). I think we had it around 4-5 pm so that they were rested from naps, had pizza and cake and ran around like crazy. I didn't have to clean up or entertain and I think it costs about $9 per child which includes pizza (1 slice per kid), drink, tokens, and cake. They also provide hats and balloons. Treat bags were extra. If parents are invited I ordered another pizza with a coupon. They are abundant in the Sunday paper or you can go to the website to print some out. By the time the party was over we had exhausted kids who went to bed early.

It seemed like a bit of a splurge at the time but if you think about it, you'd have to get a cake, food, party hats and decorations, provide entertainment yourself, and then clean up afterwards. It seemed like you'd end up spending the same amount of money and do all the work. Anyway, that was we did and the other parents loved it as much as their kids.

Comment

We just had a 3-year birthday party. We did it on Saturday at 4pm, and I guess the cake probably did spoil their appetites. We basically invited all her little playmates over (I think there were 12 in all, if you count siblings). Since we are frinds with the parents, it was basically a casual party where parents and kids came over, had cake, ice cream and appetizers, and beverages (punch for the kids, beer or wine for the adults). I was unsure what the ettiquette was for opening gifts (whether to do it with everyone there or to wait until later when everyone had gone home) but my daughter started tearing into them so we let her open them. Then she and her friends played with the toys and watched Lilo and Stitch. I didn't plan any games, but I did put together little goodie bags for the kids to take home. I'm hoping next year to be more organized and have games and activities, or maybe even a Chuck E. Cheese party, but this year, 3 days after Christmas we were lucky to have any kind of party at all!
      Good luck with the birthday party--the good thing about this age is they really don't have high expectations for their party. As long as you get the right kind of cake (ours was Barbie Rapunzel) they are satisfied!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I know my girls are older, but I always liked a lunchtime party on a Saturday. 11-1, gives you time for pizza, cake, games, and send them on their way. I recommended Chuckee Cheese for a lunch party!!! They can still get a nap and recover from the sugar!!!!
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Kelly,
          Any progress on the party plans. I miss the younger years, but I do not envy the party planning!!!! My baby is busy filling out college applications.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I let my little guy to the discount party warehouse and pick out the decorations--true to form he picked Thomas the Tank Engine. We are going to invite 5 preschoolers and their sibs and parents. The problem is that Sean doesn't have his February call schedule yet so the whole thing is on hold until we can pin point a date.

I did buy a pinata too. I figure that we'll back the cars up out of the garage and let the kids go crazy in there.

Kelly

Comment

party

How did the party go??????

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

soooo much fun. Thanks for asking. The pinata was the biggest hit. The kids all dressed up in his make believe outfits so we had a little police man, astronaut, race car driver, and fireman running around. It was like the village people for kids so we turned on the music and let them dance. Enjoy your upcoming party.

Kelly

Comment

Kelly-

I just cracked up at the Village People scene! Glad it was a good time!

Jenn

PS- at the holiday party this year our DJ got a five of my husband's co-workers to wear the hats and do the YMCA thing! They all did their own dances on the dance floor and at least oneof them took of his shirt. (and yes, there are pictures. and someday one of them will want to be a colonel...)

Comment

Speaking of good bribery material...Sean and four of his guy friends dressed up like a cheesy boy band from the eighties (instead of "new edition" they were "newest edition") and sang at the medical school talent show. It is hysterical to watch these oh-so-serious guys crooning to 'cool it now' and doing the "worm" across the stage. I'm thinking that I just may earn some money with this one later.

As far as incriminating evidence against my son. I have a video clip of him saying that he wants to marry his mommy when he grows up. (Of course, his mommy said yes!)

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                    X