Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kiddos with Special Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiddos with Special Needs

God chose us...

Our son was diagnosed as Autistic at the age of 2 1/2 and has been under intense therapy since then (~6 yrs). Although he is mainstreamed into his appropriate grade level, we still are challenged daily with his social problems. I guess this is more of a sounding board for all parents of special needs kiddos in this profession - you are not alone...

RB

I don't have a child with a diagnosed special need, but I think it is great that you've reached out and shared this. I am sure that there are many people on the site who can relate specifically to your situation, and many more (like me) who have kids and can certainly relate to the struggle of wanting/getting/pushing for/and supporting what is best for your child.

Comment

Hey there RB, so glad you joined the group! I do not have a child who is autistic, but have a cousin who is high functioning autistic, a cousin with a severe and very rare type of dwarfism that has many complications associated with the syndrome, and a couple of other family members with other various LD's. Because of them, I've been spurred on to go into special education. At this point I"m geared to major in psych and I'm looking at either a MAT at the graduate level or more likely getting a BCABA certification. If I go where I am going to transfer colleges next year, and if I go were I'd like, I"m looking to get a special human services degree within the psych department. That program requires an internship and I'm hoping to intern at an autistic clinic.

So, you are not alone, and feel free to vent, talk, ask normal parenting questions (as your child is much like others despite the autism), etc. We want you to feel welcomed.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. My daughter and her DH have a one year old son with a hearing loss, and he wears hearing aids. It is considered a mild hearing loss, but he cannot hear high pitch without them. Also, language development would be delayed without them. She has already found out how hard it can be to navigate the system. She had to fight the insurance companies, etc. Hearing aids are expensive and not considered a medical necessity! The Americans with Disabilities Act protects him, and this has been wonderful for her, though she still has to fight every beurocracy on what seems like a weekly basis.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Here is apicture of Oliver!
          Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That didn't work!
            Luanne

Comment

Working...
            X