Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Life is precious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life is precious

My daughter Caroline (17) has a friend who committed suicide this week. This is so horrible. I feel so sad for the family and all of the friends. I don't know if you remember, but her close girlfriend was killed in a car accident in September. This is two friends/peers in 7 months.

Apparently he told two of his friends he was going to kill himself and they did not believe him. He left a note for his parents and his girlfriend. The whole school is in shock. I just want to protect her from bad things, but I know I can't. I read once that the two most important things we can give our children are "strong roots and wings", it is so hard watching them experience the sad but real parts of life. I sometimes want to clip the wings and keep them close!!
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

How horrible! It seems like kids today have to grow up so much faster--I can't imagine dealing with two tragic deaths at such a young age.
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Oh Luanne, how tragic. A young life ended so senselessly when counselling would likely have made all the difference. My heart goes out to this young man's family, and to your daughter Caroline.

Suicide in teens happens far too often, and it is so, so tragic.

Janet

Comment

Oh gosh

Luanne, my heart really goes out to your daughter...she has been through so much this year! How is she holding up?

This is such a tragedy.....I hope that Caroline is doing alright.

Kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Luanne,

I am so sorry to hear this and so sorry for Caroline to have to deal with two losses of kids her age, so close together.

My husband's cousin committed suicide four years ago -- he was in his senior year, was class president, had a great scholarship to his top-pick college -- and somehow, he didn't think that life was worth living. That was the saddest I have ever seen my husband. I can't imagine what it is like for your daughter and her classmates. I will be thinking of all of them.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Luanne-

That is so sad- and traumatic. We had a classmate drown himself in the community pool and to this day I can picture the whole event.

My thoughts are with you and your daughter.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. The "wake" was tonight and tomorrow is the funeral. They are all acting apropriately, but it is soooo hard. Graduation will be difficult in June, without these two people.
              Luanne
              Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Suicide is one of those things that is so incredibly hard to explain and deal with. We've dealt with the natural and accidental deaths of family and loved ones and I have always felt so confident about the situation. When it comes to suicide, however, it is one of those horrible gray zones with many questions: Why did they feel they had to die? Why did the feel they had to die at their own hands? Did they comprehend what they were doing or was it beyond their mental powers? So many questions unanswered. It is a horrible, horrible thing. I am so sorry for your daughter and the other teenagers confronted with the suicide of a peer when they are still developing their own sense of of where they fit in the world. I can imagine motherhood must feel like a difficult road at times like this....
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Luanne -

This is so terrible. Caroline has been through so much this year already. Suicide is such a terrible thing and people have a tendency to blame themselves thinking maybe they should have done something to help.

We had a boy in our neighborhood a few years ago kill himself when he was 16. He was at my cousin's birthday party and as he left he told a bunch of his friends that he was going to go kill himself that night and no one believed him either. When he did, they were so shocked and felt so guilty like they should have done something. I knew the parents well and it was the saddest funeral I have ever attended.

I hope Caroline can stay strong and I know you will be a great strength to her. My heart goes out to you both!!

Robin

Comment

Luanne,

I'm so sorry for your daughter and her friends and the boy's family. May hope and strength help you all through this difficult time. When I was in high school a fellow classmates committed suicide. It's very important to mourn.

Best wishes,
                    Jill

Comment

Luanne- Although absolutely late, I wanted to share my condolences for your daughter's loss. She has been through a lot this year and experienced things may will probably force her to grow up a little more quickly. I am sorry she has to go through this sad time. My thoughts are with you and your daughter.

Jennifer
                      Needs

Comment

Thanks for all of the kind comments and support. The kids all seem to be handling this better than I would. They are also a great support for their friend's brother.
                        Luanne
                        Luanne

Comment

Working...
                        X