Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I left him alone with the kids for ONE DAY...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I left him alone with the kids for ONE DAY...

and he gave our daughter the worst "bang trim" I have ever seen. He cut off about 2" of bangs and made an even clip which extends about 2" beyone the point where her ear is on each side. She looks like she has a really bad haircut modeled after the ugly dos of the 80's where the guys (and some gals) used to have the top of the head trimmed short then the back long and shaggy-- starting BEHIND the ear. What am I going to do??? How long will this take to grow out!?!

Let's just say that when he told me he trimmed her bangs, I did not imagine what he actually did.

I don't believe he's gonna do that again. At least he promises up and down that he won't...

I couldn't get too angry because he watched the kids all day while I went to Seattle with a group of friends for shopping. Kinda scares me to do that again, though!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

A mullet? Oh my. Sounds like you have kept the event in perspective, though. I say bob it all off chin-length so it reaches one lenghth quicker.

My dad says that despite everyone's best intentions, the oldest child always has to endure the most parental "experiments."
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Oh my goodness! Matt would be in deep kim-chee if he ever tried to cut Emma's hair without my consent or knowledge. 8)

I agree- cut into a bob, and that way it won't take as long to grow out.

Just think it will make a cute story in a few years. I know my FIL took my SIL with him to a dental conference when she was 5 and didn't brush her hair for the entire week. When she got home, she had the worst rat's nest ever, and had to get her locks chopped off. Matt's family laughs about it now 20 years later.

Next time you can drop the kids off at my place in Seattle.

Crystal
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Thanks Crystal!!!

This was actually done to my 20-month old, I should add. My 7-year old daughter, having seen the do, said, "Dad, you are never giving me a haircut!!!"

I think I can take her to my hair stylist and get a bob type- with layering down to the ear-length perhaps so that it doesn't look so abrupt...
        Peggy

Comment

That is what we call "making memories". I agree with the bob cut.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Wow, our 20 month old barely has enough hair to cover her head! Our three year old does have a mullet, but that is just the way it has grown in so far, definitely not by our choice.
            When I was 5, my dad took me and my sister to his barber and told them to cut our hair so we wouldn't have to brush it in the morning. And they did! We were so embarassed and our mom cried when he got us home. I don't know what posessed him to do that! We wore the hoods up on our jackets for weeks!
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'm giggling at the thought of all these little ones running around with mullets.

I cut my own hair when I was a little girl and had to wear a sweat band to cover up my extremely short bangs in an attempt to look somewhat normal. (circa 1980-something when Olivia Newton John's "Let's Get Physical" was all the rage) Just picture this little girl going to school with dresses and.... a sweat band on. My mom forbid me to wear the flash dance sweatshirts with gaping collar that exposed shoulders to match my head apparel. The nerve I say!

O.K. So what were we thinking back then?

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I just answered Luanne's comments about her haircut with this same story:

In 8th grade my best friend cut off about 8 inches of my hair during what was to have been a 'trim'. This was back in the days of the Farrah Fawcett curling iron 45 minute morning trauma.

I got used to the short hair thing really quickly and really have never gone back!

Jenn

Comment

Mullets "were" cool...I remember in junior high growing my hair out long enough in the back to have it permed. That was sooo cool then, along with wearing suspenders, and girls wearing two pairs of GIANT puffy socks of two different colors outside their jeans....

Comment

Leg Warmers!!!! I loved those! My parents brought me some of my stuff they found in the attic at their house last year and lo and behold ... there were a pair of leg warmers. I laughed hysterically when I saw them. Sigh ... those were the days! I loved the headbands (even without a bad haircut!) and even got the one with the feathers down the side once!

Robin

Comment

Robin- did you ever get the strand of feathers attached to an alligator clip to wear as head decorations???

I used to wear my neon pink and white striped legwarmers pulled up to mid-thigh!

I heard something on the TV the other day about what a horrible fashion scene the 80s were. Recollecting on all of this has made me have to agree!!!

Sue- I can't believe your dad took you to a barber!! What did he do-- shave your heads??? Why can't some men understand that a haircut for girls is an entirely different matter than a haircut for boys???

Kelly- My oldest gave herself a similar haircut. She cut down to the scalp in like 3 places on her head, and so we had to do a pixie. It was actually very cute, except that everyone kept asking us about our "son".

Thanks for all the great stories!!
                      Peggy

Comment

Working...
                      X