Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Humidifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifier

Do you have one? Why or why not? What kind? Pros/Cons?

The air in the house is pretty dry and I was thinking of getting one but all the reviews online are pretty dismal. It seems that most models only work for a few months and then either develop mildew or break. BRU has a Vicks one on sale this week for $20 (plus I have a 20% coupon), so I was thinking of getting it just to last us through the couple of months we'll be heating the house and then if it breaks, I won't feel bad throwing it out. By the next winter, I'll feel comfortable lathering her up in lotion.

We don't have one and didn't in a drier climate. I'm wary of them after having a framed print ruined by the increased moisture in the air. I might have been over-using or mis-using it though.

Comment

We don't have kiddos but like to have a humidifier - we've found that it prevents our hands from cracking in the winter. I am pretty sure we have a cheapy ($30 or less) and DH just takes it apart periodically and cleans it (I am very alergic to mold and mildew) and have yet to have a problem.
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

We are on our 2nd. The first one we bought was the Vicks one you're probably talking about - it was a piece of JUNK! The one we have now is a Holmes, I think I got it at Target or Wal-Mart. As long as I remember to clean it out once a week if we use it everyday it works great. We haven't used it as much this year because it hasn't been quite as cold but I'm sure we will by the end of the winter. The trick is finding somewhere in the room to put it that the child can't get to it once they're mobile.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Shoot, lost my post, so I'll keep this brief. We have a holmes cool mist humidifer, and I really like it. We've had others and I like this one best.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.as...1&SKU=16763535

it's also functions as a white noise machine for my DD to help her sleep longer stretches. I clean it every couple weeks, and it has held up really well.
          Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. BRU doesn't carry Holmes but I added it to our registry at BuyBuyBaby.

Comment

If you don't use a humidifier now, you probably won't later on...

For me, coming from an arid climate, over here in the eastern area I feel like the humidity is crazy high all the time anyway, though...

We've bought humidifiers before, but just can't stand the feel of them. It's like the baby's room becomes a tropical jungle or something...
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

PA is much dryer than NY (probably because it's more inland). I can always drink more water, put on lip balm and lather up in lotion (my usual course of action is all of the above or risk getting shocked when switching the lights on). I don't think a newborn has these options, at least not immediately, hence the sudden need for a humidifier.

Comment

This hadn't even occured to me...Denver is incredibly ARID! Oiy, adding another thing to the list.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Meh, my mother used to swear by them when we were sick as kids. I think they helped our coughs a bit at night. I just find them to be a huge PITA and don't seem to help that much when our kiddos are sick.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We have a huge one (http://www.google.com/products/catal...wBA#ps-sellers) and LOVE it It has improved our quality of sleep - our house was at about 25 or 30% before because we have no central heat and therefore no central humidifier!
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                        By the next winter, I'll feel comfortable lathering her up in lotion.
                        If it is dry skin you are worried about:

My dd had terrible dry skin last year (like first 2-5 months of life). I never liked the humidifier I bought (I still swear it doesn't work). The pediatrician suggested "Lotsobaths" (translation: Lots and Lots of Baths!). He said it like it was some ultra special medication - it was really cute and made me feel much more relaxed about the issue! We would let her soak in the tub nightly (only used soap every other night) and then leave her skin fairly damp and put tons of lotion on her - on every inch of her. He said we could bathe her twice daily even, if she really needed it. I also put lotion on her every time I changed her clothes or diaper. We just use regular old Aveeno (bought in bulk at Costco).

Good luck!

Comment

Yes, my main concern is dry skin. Mine starts flaking off if I don't moisturize almost daily. So how early can I put lotion on a baby?

Comment

Our ped tells us we can put Aquaphor or Vanicream on them at any time because they don't have the extra stuff that other lotions have.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've put Aveeno once we got home from the hospital. No ill effects that I've noticed.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X