Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When to little boys stop hugging their mommas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to little boys stop hugging their mommas???

Hi- My son is just sooo sweet. He loves to be cuddled and hugged, and I think it's just so fun especially b/c his twin is very tense and since week 2 hasn't wanted to cuddle. Her only comfort is her thumb and blanket! And Elmo, of course... But Stevie will climb up on my lap at any time just for some sugar. He's really independent, also, and runs around the house and gets into things he shouldn't and does all the toddler stuff, too.

I was just wondering for those of you who have cuddly kids, at what age do little boys especially stop cuddling? My nephew is 1 year older than Stevie, and he hardly cuddles at all with my sister anymore .

Peggy
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Peggy,
    My son is 3 and he has never really been a cuddler unless he wasn't feeling well or was pretty tired. It broke DW's heart when he was big enough to get away on his own. She loves the chances she gets to hug and squeeze, but they are limited, now she accepts lots of drawings, and handfuls of dirt and earthworms (his latest fascination).

As for a time when he decided that he wasn't going to be cuddled, probably about the time he was good at walking, around 16mths he could really get just about anywhere he wanted. So, cherish the times that you get and when they are few and far between mothers have an uncanny knack for "seeing/feeling the love" in many different ways and things (dirt & worms included!).

Comment

My nephew was a cuddler and he outgrew it during the year he was four.

My neice was a definite non-cuddler--as a toddler she'd lift up her arms to be picked up, and for a second you'd be all flattered and it would melt your heart, and then as soon as you lifted her up, you'd realize she only wanted to see what was on the countertop, or to reach something up high. And she was like that with everyone. She's always been such a sparkplug, though.

Now that they're five and six, respectively, they've sort of equalled out. My nephew doesn't climb in anyone's lap anymore, and my neice likes to have her hair brushed and braided, for instance. And they'll both hold your hand if they're walking next to you.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Peggy-

My brother is 34 and believe me, he'd cuddle if we wouldn't completely make fun of him for it. When he's really having a bad time of it and my SIL can do nothing for him she finally just says "John, call your mommy!".

It's altogether wrong. I was teasing my mom once about never being able to say "no" once he bats his baby blues...she actually agreed! (at one point when he was in his 6th year of a 4 year college degree, she not so jokingly told him she would just have her paycheck deposited into his account and could she please have lunch and gas money once a week!)

So, maybe yours will be like my pathetic baby brother! (Says the "What's wrong with being an only child?" older sister)

Jenn

Comment

I guess it all depends on the boys' personalities. You can have the baby who starts of wiry and has no interest in hugging or cuddling to the other extreme, like Jenn's brother! My8-year old will still try to climb on my lap and he is big for his age! It is so sweet though that I try not to say no unless I can't breathe! Dallin still loves to hug at 3 and I hope he doesn't stop anytime soon. He is such a chubby little thing (came into the world at 9lbs 13 oz and never slowed down!) I could hug him all day. Tyler started off in the world a little independent guy. I was never able to hug him as a baby. He has actually gotten a little more cuddly as he has gotten older. My oldest quit cuddling around 4 but he still loves hugs. SO ... enjoy while you can!!!!

Robin

Comment

GOODY! Since my little guy is a snuggler, if he follows Robin's son's example I have time still for more cuddles. Now, I don't think that I'd want this to go on for 34 more years.... 8O Jenn it sounds like you have a really neat SIL!!!
            You all must have fun together!
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
            X