Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

dental problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dental problems

Both of my older daughters have started having lots of dental problems. It is so sad and difficult as a parent when they are having painful or uncomfortable dental work done. Now both of them are scared to go to the dentist. Our dentist is very accomodating, patient, calm. One thing she doesnt do is give me a strong opinion on treatment options, which means I dont really know what to do sometimes.

DD1 is six and hasnt had any loose teeth. The dentist recommended a root canal on her front upper tooth -the nerve died relating to her teeth grinding. She doesnt have any pain, or tooth discoloration. I am wondering what is the point of having her get a root canal, then a crown on that tooth-with the requesite pain and fear of the procedure- when she is set to loose that tooth within the next year.

I know there are some of you out there with kids with dental problems. Help me get through this!
    Mom to three wild women.

I'm sorry. We went through some dental worries as well. My oldest had a partial root canal and crown on a molar when she was 5 or 6. That is a little different though since she would have had the molar for a longer amount of time. Because of the issue with that tooth, she lost it early (guess that doesn't always happen but did in this case). So that really expensive tooth was only in her mouth for about two years! In her case it was clearer that she needed that treatment. I can see why you would be on the fence about treating a front tooth that could come out soon.
    Last edited by cupcake; 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I'm so sorry they're going through this! As long as the dentist doesn't see any infection or rot, and doesn't highly recommend removing it, I'd see if the tooth comes out on it's own. Besides the wasted expense, that's a stressful procedure that will not help her opinion of going to the dentist.

I feel bad for them. DH and I are opposites when it comes to our teeth. I rarely have any problems, and it seems like he needs work almost every visit. We always brush and floss our teeth together, for the same amount of time, and we can't figure out the difference except that apparently some people are more likely to get cavities. He made up for it, though, by not having any wisdom teeth, and all four of mine were sideways underneath my gums and had to be cut out! I'd much rather have gotten fillings!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ugh. We went through some dental issues with Alex and I remember feeling much like you do. There were certain things that had to be done, but in retrospect there were things that I wouldn't have opted to do again. Our regular dentist (not a pediatric dentist) made the comment to Thomas after hearing what we had done that it was ... interesting how the new dental school grads were able to pay off their loans so quickly. LOL I suppose I shouldn't say anything like that since all of us have our loans to pay off too! He was really just implying that not everything was necessary. It's hard to tease out what is necessary though!

I know that if a tooth is in bad shape that it can affect the tooth underneath it. Maybe you could talk to the dentist and share that because of your child's age and likelihood to lose the tooth soon that you would like to do a watch and wait approach with regards to some procedures?

My mom told me that when we were kids that they did way fewer procedures on baby teeth....and our teeth turned out fine.

I don't know ... it's a tough call. I sure feel your pain though!!!!!

Kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
        X