Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious

I remember Jenn Patel posting something about trying this cookbook. The dude just has his 6 year appointment and while they weren't alarmed at his weight (or lack thereof) they are concerned about his diet in that the kid won't eat meat (bacon, liverwurst and hotdogs yes, actual meat- not very often) and a lack of iron.

My husband jokingly suggested that I buy the cookbook that hides foods and I remember that there really was one- so I bought it off half.com for $2.64 plus shipping.

Caveat- it's a HUGE pain in the arse to do the prep. Her premise is that she roasts or steams a bunch of different kinds of veggies and then purees them. Each puree is then divided in to 1/2 cup servings. Yesterday I roasted sweet potatos, a butternut squash and some beets while I steamed a cauliflower. Thank goodness for the Vita-Mix Super 5000 blender because that part went very well. I have an ancient food processor that's a pain to clean if you have to use if for more than one thing so I just used the blender.

Yesterday we made the peanut butter and jelly muffins- it was supposed to have a 1/2 cup of carrot puree which I didn't make, so I used a 1/4 cup of sweet potato and a 1/4 applesauce instead. Holy Moly are they delicious!

The kicker was today- scrambled eggs w/ 1/2 cup pureed cauliflower. I added cheddar cheese as she does in the recipe and lo and behold- HE ATE IT. The whole thing. (he also puts ketchup on his eggs which I'm sure helped) Seriously, he had more cauliflower this morning than he has had EVER in his entire six years. (unless the Russians fed it to him, in which case it was probably boiled to death or pickled) I kept waiting for the "I'm not eating this" fit and it never happened. His little body is probably thinking "wait, are those VITAMINS in the tummy?"

So far, so good. Tonight I'm making her dinner pancakes (still sweet) which are "Pink Pancakes" - pink from beets. There's also a recipe for "green eggs" so I may try those next weekend.

I'm crossing my fingers that this continues to go well. I'm past the point of caring that I'm basically lying to my child about what he's eating. 16% for weight- and 23% for height! I don't want him to be a huge American kid but I would like a healthy Russian one!

Jenn

Haha, I'm happy you got the book cheap. Hear about the story behind Seinfeld's cookbook and a rival one by someone who actually has a background in cooking and nutrition (Missy Chase Lapine)? I have a hard time believing Jessica Seinfeld spends all her time slaving in the kitchen like you did for her kids--give me a break.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I have the other book (Sneaky Chef, I think it's called?), and I've used it a couple of times but just haven't had the time to do the prep work (cooking/roasting/pureeing/etc.). Jack loved the Health-By-Chocolate cookies (made with spinach and blueberries ... really yummy!).
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

sounds delicious to me!! I usually put cauliflower in mashed potatoes... but that's bc I like the texture. the kids don't eat mashed potatoes, of course...
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I didn't buy the book, but I have learned that you can hide pureed zuchini in ANYTHING. Seriously.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Black bean brownies are surprisingly good too
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The Seinfeld book has two recipes for mac and cheese but both required more effort than I could muster this evening so I replaced the butter in the regular mac recipe w/ 4 tablespoons of butternut squash puree and once again, not a peep. Of course, I couldn't tell the difference either- the color was exactly the same as was the flavor. This is getting fun now- I'm kind of curious to see how long I'll be able to outwit the dude.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                The Seinfeld book has two recipes for mac and cheese but both required more effort than I could muster this evening so I replaced the butter in the regular mac recipe w/ 4 tablespoons of butternut squash puree and once again, not a peep. Of course, I couldn't tell the difference either- the color was exactly the same as was the flavor. This is getting fun now- I'm kind of curious to see how long I'll be able to outwit the dude.

Jenn
                How pissed is he going to be when he figures it out?
                Kris

Comment

I can't even imagine. Likely he'll channel his earlier persona of Purple Raging Baby.

Jenn

Comment

Keep us posted, Jenn!

I'll never forget the time when my mil bought a tofu-based sour cream for a dessert, and everyone raved about it until I asked what kind of cream she used. She went and got the container out of the fridge, and when it was confirmed that it was tofu cream, they all refused to take another bite!

I hope the trend continues, and your ds eats and eats and eats!
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

This reminds me that I actually have the book and need to start using it. Three-year-old DS will not touch a veggie period. The ped. said not to worry about it too much because he eats so much fruit like blueberries and blackberries. 12-month-old DS on the other hand eats peas for snack. And it is his favorite. I would love to get some cauliflower into my three-year-old.

Comment

Here's a question - could I use the purees as double duty? Robert is getting ready to start baby food, could I use those purees as baby food and hide them in Adele's food? She won't touch veggies either but eats fruits like they're going out of style.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                          Here's a question - could I use the purees as double duty? Robert is getting ready to start baby food, could I use those purees as baby food and hide them in Adele's food? She won't touch veggies either but eats fruits like they're going out of style.
                          I would. Baby food is nothing but purees anyways.

Comment

Yep, I never feed my babies jarred foods; I always just pureed "regular" foods and fed it to them that way. And it would be great if you could maximize your efforts and feed it to both kids!
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              Haha, I'm happy you got the book cheap. Hear about the story behind Seinfeld's cookbook and a rival one by someone who actually has a background in cooking and nutrition (Missy Chase Lapine)? I have a hard time believing Jessica Seinfeld spends all her time slaving in the kitchen like you did for her kids--give me a break.
                              I agree. I have the Sneaky Chef books. Great recipes. She recommends that you do all the purees and then freeze them in ice cube trays so you don't have to do it every time you cook, so much easier.
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X