Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shingles

I noticed some blisters on DS yesterday, took a pic, sent it to DH (because he was at work of course) who says, "it's probably cellulitis. He's fine." Today, that clump of blisters is scabbed over, but there is a new patch on his chest. It look very much like chickenpox, but probably even more like shingles. Weird - I didn't know toddlers could get shingles. I took DS into his pediatrician and guess what? He has shingles. His ped has never seen them in a two year old, dragged one of his colleagues into the room who says, "huh, that's odd - it is shingles." I think we all realize - it's never good to be the interesting patient. So, our Labor Day plans are now changed from a weekend at the beach to a weekend at home. yuck
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Im so sorry. That cannot be fun. I hope you are still able to have a good weekend despite the change in plans.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Oh yuck. Is he feeling OK? I have heard it is awful - but I guess it depends on what dermatome it erupts within. My son got scarlet fever at 4. It isn't good to be interesting, is it? I'm sure you will muddle through the weekend - but I'm sorry. Hope he feels better soon.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Poor guy!! Out of curiousity - did your DS get the chickenpox vaccine or have exposure to chickenpox?
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I would not wish shingles on anyone. A few years ago, I had all the pain and sensitivity of shingles, but with no rash. My doc had never seen that happen, but based on my symptoms, we're assuming that's what it was. Hurt like hell, but did eventually fade away. I hope your little guy heals up fast!
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

My aunt and dad had that in the past couple years. I don't with that on anyone. My aunt had it so bad they put her on morphine pills. This is a woman that rarely will take a Advil. Do you mind if I ask- how are they treating him??
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Has he had the varicella vaccine? I got shingles when DS#1 was 2 months old, it presented on one side of my trunk. I had to take all these extra precautions (mostly layering of clothing) because I was nursing him and he hadn't yet had his varicella vaccine. Oh, but it was painful... I'm so sorry!
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

He has had the varicella vaccine. Apparently, it's less common in kids who have had the vaccine than in those who have had the wild chickenpox virus. He is on a five-day course of acyclovir (4 times/day). I think we're going to do a CBC and make sure nothing else is going on. This is the youngest case that our ped has seen, one of our best friends (who is a ped-EM doc) has seen, and his Godmother (who is a general ped) has seen. Just makes me a little nervous that he may have something compromising his immune system, and want to rule it out. I do have to say that I'm really happy with our pediatrician who called DH at work to let him know what was going on and called tonight to check on us because he knew that DH was at work. I gave him some ibuprofen tonight before bed but he really wasn't complaining. His doc said that often in peds its not nearly as painful as in adults. I'm just crossing my fingers that this is a fluke and it won't reoccur every time he has some kind of illness. Thank you all for your well wishes!
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I hope its just a fluke, and I'm sorry you had to change your weekend plans. Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

P.S. I got TWO mild cases of the chicken pox and one MILD case of the shingles when I was little.... for some reason I just got several mild occurrance rather than one bad outbreak?
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I would get an ID consult. But that is just my neurotic self.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm sorry this is happening to your son. I hope he gets better soon.
                      Cristina
                      IM PGY-2

Comment

Oh yuck! I am sorry your little has shingles. But, I have to say I would push for an ID consult as well. Heck, if he is a zebra, then everyone may as well get in on the party.
                        Kris

Comment

I get shingles periodically- always on my hip. First outbreak was when I was about 18. They haven't ever been too painful, more annoying, and I take the Acyclovir to get rid of them usually. Sometimes I've gone through the whole cycle w/o meds and it's tolerable.

But I've heard so many stories about how crippling it can be--

Sorry you're going through that. Hopefully they'll have some answers soon! Has he been photographed yet? You know, for the journal articles...
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'm glad he isn't really suffering. It sounds like chickenpox - in that when it presents in children it is milder than when it presents in adults. Big hugs to the whole family!!
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                              I would not wish shingles on anyone. A few years ago, I had all the pain and sensitivity of shingles, but with no rash. My doc had never seen that happen, but based on my symptoms, we're assuming that's what it was. Hurt like hell, but did eventually fade away. I hope your little guy heals up fast!
                              Hope he feels better soon! I think I may have had shingles a few years ago--I had the rash/blisters all in the same area, but no pain, just itching. I never went to a doctor about it. I've heard shingles is usually very painful, though. Hope he has a quick recovery!

Comment

Working...
                              X