Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If I have to help this much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I have to help this much

I should be homeschooling.

It's been an all evening affair from listening to Aidan read to cracking the whip at Alex for homework while he was sick to helping Amanda with Algebra (forever) and then Civics. Now I am doing Scarlet Letter with Andrew: Discuss the juxtaposition of the scarlet letter: symbolism vs imagery. Sob. I can't. My wine bottle is empty!
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Just reading all that stressed me out. Good luck Kris! Hope you get more wine soon!! You deserve it!!

Comment

Oh my goodness... Sounds like you need to start buying in bulk! What a pain in the neck!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I can't even imagine.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'd say my helping with homework has gone up now that my oldest has hit high school, too. At least it is more interesting material! He has (seriously) about 5 tests a week and always wants me to quiz him. That, and for the first time they are writing "real" papers. It's all new and he does ask for help. For me, I'd say the homework reprieve lasted from the end of 5th grade through 9th.

I haven't tried it with wine. I bet it is more fun.....
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I dont remember ever getting help with HS homework! Your a good mom for giving it a try!
            Last edited by moonlight; 10-08-2010, 07:32 AM.
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Ugh. Cry. I hate homework more than my kids do. I feel you, but to a lesser degree. It makes me want to buy all the teachers in this country a copy of the book "The Homework Myth."

Down with homework!!!
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                Ugh. Cry. I hate homework more than my kids do. I feel you, but to a lesser degree. It makes me want to buy all the teachers in this country a copy of the book "The Homework Myth."

Down with homework!!!
                I agree, but then you'll have some parents actually asking where the homework is and complaining to the principal.

Comment

It's not so much help as "Can you quiz me on all the World Leaders and succession in this unit? Here's my study guide." Honestly, I was stunned that he was being asked to recall the series of leaders of France, England, Austria/Prussia, Russia and Spain/Holy Roman Empire for a period of 600 years. They also needed to know what treaties they signed and when they were broken and by whom. I don't think I had that type of requirement even in college -- and certainly not in a two week unit.

As for the papers, I don't think the schools here do a good job of teaching writing skills any more - so I always ask to check over writing assignments for "flow" and structure. They basically grade the rubric to see if you included pertinent points and then look for errors in grammar or spelling. Writing style is not an issue. I'm not sure how a kid is supposed to know when something is "well written" until they take a creative writing class -- and that's optional. So, that part is my own doing.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                    It's not so much help as "Can you quiz me on all the World Leaders and succession in this unit? Here's my study guide." Honestly, I was stunned that he was being asked to recall the series of leaders of France, England, Austria/Prussia, Russia and Spain/Holy Roman Empire for a period of 600 years. They also needed to know what treaties they signed and when they were broken and by whom.
                    AND why do you need to know this?? Seriously??? That's what google is for. AND I a big liberal arts suporter......in college.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Angie,

I don't know if they are doing a good job of teaching basic anything skills anymore. I know that sounds harsh.

We worked on Algebra last night forever. Basic concepts. BASIC. She said that when she asked her teacher questions, the teacher said "look in your notes". We solved problems from each section she was being tested on. The teacher gave them this ridiculous cheat sheet to take in the test, with every rule, every type of problem, etc. The thing is, there was one basic concept: x=# I told Amanda to toss out the cheat sheet and no matter which type of problem get the variable on one side and a number on the other. The only rule? If you do something to one side, you have to do it to another....no matter how complex the problem looked, it was all the same "game" or "puzzle". She kept wanting her cheat sheet, but she solved the problems. She did every single problem CORRECTLY. Every one. "Why did my teacher make this so complicated?" "I don't know".

They are so focused on new teaching methods here .... it seems learning is on the back burner.

I sent a girl to school today who started last night with "I suck at math" and ended with "OMG I can DO this.."

So....I am actually thinking of pulling her.....I really am.....
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm speechless - what a terrible math teacher!
                        I tell my students to stop doing my hw after an hour. Mostly it's designed to take 30-45 minutes. I think they tend to spend more time on history and english and such. In my AP courses they have more work than that - mostly lab reports and hefty readings, but that's to be expected.
                        I will tell you that in math and science, it's quite apparent which kids are not doing hw - practicing the concepts outside of class is essential to mastering the material.
                        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Yes, we are in a very "progressive" school district (and I use that term loosely) and nearly 95% of the children don't know how to hold a pencil correctly and they don't even bother teaching cursive because, "children will be using computers in the future". The reading curriculum was changed about 5 years ago to the protest of the first grade teachers because the new, more progressive, style was not working. Administration said, "too bad, its the latest and greatest and we're keeping it".

That is awesome you helped Amanda Kris, I know she would be 1000 times better off with you as her teacher. Way to go mom!!!
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think there is a gap forming ( at least here) between the kids at the top academically and the kids below. It seems the standards for the lowest are dropping and the standard for the top has grown. I know here that is partially because of "value added" evaluation to keep the "excellent with distinction" rating. In value added, the top kids have to score in a higher percentage each year - or the school has not "taught" them anything. So, the bar gets higher. We had a huge number of districts lose that top rating this year because they "topped out". Our district is determined not to - and they are also determined to increase the AP test pass rates each year. So, I think the honors classes are like college. Meanwhile, the non-honors classes seem totally lame to me. My son went in to honors English this year after being in "regular" English so far. It is a big step up in work load and expectations. Huge. I don't think there should be that much difference. At least not when only two "levels" are offered. At least I finally think he's being challenged. It's just shocking how much they through at them, though.

Tara, ITA about the progressive stuff. We have the world's WORST math curriculum through 5th grade. It is awful. I breath a sigh of relief when my kids finally hit traditional math at 6th grade. It is based on research - but my own research opinion of the work is that it is designed to bring math to the people that do badly at math because they have strong language skills. Well, that's great - but don't then ignore those kids that have strong math skills and think mathematically. Having kids get problems wrong because they worked it out as a formula instead of writing the "story of the equation" is nuts. Nuts. I'm glad my kids are all done with that!!
                            Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                              I think there is a gap forming ( at least here) between the kids at the top academically and the kids below. It seems the standards for the lowest are dropping and the standard for the top has grown. I know here that is partially because of "value added" evaluation to keep the "excellent with distinction" rating. In value added, the top kids have to score in a higher percentage each year - or the school has not "taught" them anything.
                              I see this too! I have an interesting perspective because we have been at the same elementary for 12 years with four children of all differing academic ability. I can tell you that the children at the top get much more attention and are pushed to their abilities whereas the rest of the kids are pretty much left to just get by. Our youngest is board out of her mind in math because it is a repeat of second grade. Children meet whatever expectations you set out for them and if they are low they won't push on their own. Parents are told that the groups are fluid and children can move between the groups. What they don't tell you is that it becomes nearly impossible because with each year the top is learning more and more and the middle and lower groups are not pushed at the same rate.

I am not sure of the solution and I know a lot of the teachers are frustrated as well but they have to follow district guidelines so their hands are tied. When that first grade reading curriculum was changed our teachers actually ignored the district and went back to the old way for six months. When word got out administrators came to the school and removed all the old books during class. So very sad.
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X