Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If I have to help this much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tara,

We see this too. There is also a push to get children in lower math groups to be exempt from state testing to artificially boost scores. Also there is a push to move the lower scorers on regular math into the lower groups.

High achievers in high school here have a lot of advantages that the *normal* kids don't. The expectation gap is huge.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

You guys are making me nervous reading this... and I still have 4 more years before Zoe starts Kindergarten! DH and I are firmly committed to public schooling for our children and I come from a very teaching/education oriented family, but I have so many concerns about the current public education system. Reading this just makes me realize how uber-involved we're going to need to be to make sure our kids get the most out of it. Then I think about the pressures to enroll your children in a million out-of-class activities to make them appear "well-rounded" and help them get into a good college. I'm exhausted already just thinking about it. And she's one.
      Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

My friend had to teach her 4th grader long division yesterday. Long division. Why? Because her kid's teacher sent her home with homework that was division but had taught them some ridiculous method that involved drawing pictures and dividing them or something. She was floored. She got the contact info for the person in charge of choosing curriculum for the school district (Plano, TX -- it's huge, famous and ridiculous).

I hate homework. That was my one dislike when my girls were in Catholic school -- homework started in 1st grade! Our current school (the one that takes place in my living room) does not do homework.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I experienced something similar with Amanda's algebra. One of the concepts was percent change. It should have been an easy problem, but they turned it into a huge multiple-step process that confused me to death. I got the right answer every time with my simple approach but Amanda had to use the complicated version for her test (show her work). I have taken a lot if math classes, and I fail to see how the more complicated version is a precursor for something harder. It boggles the mind.

Comment

I really struggle with out district's math curriculum as well. Caleb is smart and in kindergarten could do simple math in his head. Now they have this weird method where they have "number partners". Basically, they try to make the addends add up to a multiple of ten with whatever is left over in the ones place. It is overly complicated and doesn't give them the strong foundation they will need later on. I am hoping that it gets better, but I am not holding my breath.
            Kris

Comment

Dude's "math" homework this week is adding up the numbers in our telephone number. Yep- that's it. ONE math problem that he could do in Pre-K. Luckily it's at least in Spanish because otherwise he'd be expelled for acting out due to boredom. A bunch of other parents and I complained to the 1st grade teacher and the principal because the homework was so stupid. I'm all for homework but make it meaningful. Writing spelling words (in spanish) five times on Monday, four times on Tuesday is great for learning how to spell the word but what about actually learning what the word MEANS and how to pronounce it and how to use it in a sentence? (so I make him do all of that stuff, anyway)

Oh, and the "G/T" program? They get yanked out of class for an hour and a half on Fridays and do 'special projects'. Last weeks special project was making a toy from recycled stuff. Which is the EXACT same project he had at Crunchy School when he was three.

I'm annoyed. He is learning Spanish, though.

Jenn

Comment

Well, I pulled her and started homeschooling. I'll post a real update in the call room tomorrow.

Kris

Comment

way to go mama. Best of luck, you will be awesome!
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Good Luck!!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

OOOH Yayy! Good for you! Have fun and enjoy every day! I'm really excited to see what works for you... I hope to homeschool "someday."

Comment

Way to go, I can't wait to hear how this went down.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                        X