Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Any late walkers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any late walkers out there?

On the eve of dd's 15-month birthday, did any of you have this late of a walker....?!
    married to an anesthesia attending

DD was one week shy of 17 months (17 months and beyond is considered "delayed"). DS walked at 14 months, and DD #2 at 12 months. Our pediatrician here automatically refers babies to physical therapy at 15 months. When DD #1 wasn't walking, I insisted on a PT referral at 16 months.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

My brother and I were abt 20 months. We do not have any delays or problems.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

17, 16, and 13 months here. My kids get their coordination from me. Still, I'm of the mindset that early walking is overrated.

Now I have a late talker too but he is acutely studying those same gross motor skills now. Even the pediatrician was like, "Whoa, he is a handful" as he climbed up on her stool, turned on the faucet, turned off the lights, and generally created mayhem with his climging.

Back to the point at hand, check your mommy gut. Is she cruising and does she try to get around? Does she have prewalking motor skills like scooting, crawling, etcetera? My oldest was just more tenative. He wouldn't let go. I believe that his late walking was just part of his personality. Could this be it?
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I think DS was 14-15 months. My family insists that (slightly) late walking = better talking, but I'm sure that's an old wives' tale.

Comment

DS walked at 14 months... DD is scooting, sometimes crawling, standing holding onto furniture (12 months). I don't see that she'll be walking anytime soon. Both of my children were late on all gross motor skills. DD didn't roll over until she was probably 6 months! Is your DD standing or walking along furniture? It's probably fine, but I agree to check with your pedi. Does she have a checkup soon?
            Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

I know I didn't walk until 18 months. If she's pulling up and has the strength in her legs, I'd probably not be too concerned. After all, she's got the coordination to crawl (which seems much trickier to me -- coordinating 4 appendages at once). If her legs don't have the tone, I'd ask for a PT evalualtion.

Comment

DD#2 16 months, she combat crawled and couldn't figure out how to stand up on her own. DD#3 15 months, crawling got her to where she wanted to be a lot faster.
                Needs

Comment

14 months for Cora, Hazel seems to be on the same schedule.

Weren't you yourself a late walker, alison?
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

DD didn't walk until about 16 months. She was a late crawler too. My nephew on the other hand, was an early crawler and still walked late at around 16.5 months.
                    Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Thanks, everyone. You've got a great memory. I was a very late walker. I think I started at around 18 months, an until then, only scooted. I guess I'm just starting to find it all a little comical. Instead of pushing a wagon while walking, she'll push it while down on her knees. . She's in a couple of classes, and there are a ton of kids her age to imitate. She picks up on everything else, except for walking!

She cruises, and seems to be pretty effective with that.

I'll ask her pediatrician what to expect.

Thanks!

Comment

Also--she was an early crawler and has been basically crawling for a full year by now. . Isn't she going to get tired of crawling???

Comment

It works for her.

If she's cruising, my guess is she's just very cautious re: balance. She'll take the plunge eventually.

Comment

DD didn't walk until 17 months. Her dad walked at 15 months so I guess that's where she got it from. She also never really normally crawled; she scooted mostly and sometimes did a funny-looking army crawl. She started getting PT at 12 months because of the lack of crawling. The PT goal ended up being to walk since she was getting close to the end of the normal range for that. It's definitely her personality. She's extremely cautious and hates even the feeling that she might fall. Each kid is so different but sounds like your DD is in the normal range. If you are really worried about it, you can always ask her ped to refer you to the early intervention services offered through your town. That's where my DD got her PT from and it was great since they come to your house. They can also evaluate her eating if you are worried about that - I read that on here somewhere (while on my non-smartphone where it's too hard to reply). She sounds like my DD in that way too. She had an okay, not great, appetite up until 12 months and after that it's been pretty bad. I thought she had some texture problems since she'd spit out pasta, meat, etc. and preferred snacks, but she mimicked her boy cousins while we were on vacation and apparently could eat whatever they could eat. Back home, she's back to her picky ways. Even when she likes something, she'll still only eat a couple of bites of it. I feel like I need to open a Tapas bar for her to offer her fifty different things at a meal so she can have a complete meal! At the advice of her ped. we offer her pediasure at night to make up for any calories that she's missed during the day. It makes me feel less anxious about her skimpy meals. Anyways, all that to say I relate on both accounts!

Comment

Ayla walked at 15 1/2 months too
                              -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Working...
                              X