Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Christmas, shingles, and kids ... oh my! WWYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas, shingles, and kids ... oh my! WWYD?

We've been planning to go to MIL's for Christmas Eve and Day, just like we do every year.

MIL just called to let me know that she suspects she has shingles (self-diagnosed, sounds like). She said it's a small patch of bumps/sores on her face, near her temple. Both boys have had their varicella shots, DD has not been vaxed yet.

DH think we shouldn't go, he just thinks it's too risky with the baby (she's 3mo now). I think it will be fine as long as MIL doesn't touch/hold/hug/etc. any of the kids. And I think the sores are in a spot on her face where she could easily cover it wih a bandage or something. (When I had shingles when DS1 was 2mo, I was told that it was fine as long as he didn't come into physical contact with any of my sores.)

I (not to mention my boys, who always score the mother lode of presents on Christmas Day at their house) would be super-duper disappointed if we didn't go, but - of course - I don't want to expose the baby unecessarily. If we didn't go we'd probably end up staying home and eating frozen pizza for dinner ... it would be a sad, sad day.

I'm going to check with our ped, too, but I'd like to know what you guys think. Would you take your baby, or would you stay home?
    Last edited by migirl; 12-23-2010, 11:31 AM. Reason: Looked up DD's shot schedule, realized she has not been vaxed yet.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

No way in hell would I go. Shingles is about the worst thing I have ever seen an adult suffer, illnesswise. The intense pain lasts for months.
    Kris

Comment

Ugh, no advice, just sympathy from me!
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Have her go to the doc to make sure that's what it is.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I'm not sure. Just a couple of months ago, DS had shingles (post Varicella vac, so really no reassurance). I completely get that it's spread via contact, but I would still worry. DD (under 1 at the time) didn't get it or chicken pox, but I scrubbed the house. I kept DS at home resting, and tried to keep him away from the other kids. You have to do what you're comfortable with, regardless of disappointments.

We also went to Christmas a few years ago when DD was just getting over Rotovirus (we didn't realize what it was at the time). 25 of our family members came down with the illness, and my FIL was hospitalized. In hindsight, I DEFINITELY would have stayed home, despite disappointment.

If it were me, I think I'd stay home.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Don't do it! E got chicken pox 2 weeks shy of his vaccination and we emailed all playgroups, play spaces and we never found out where he got it from. He spent Halloween as a Dalmation so thankfully the spots didn't look that bad. He was miserable...I can't imagine that on a 3 month old. Your older kids could touch mil and pass it on without knowing. Just my opinion.
            Danielle
            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Varicella is spread through contact and droplet
              This!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Dh got shingles when O was 3 months old. I called our ped & she said since I was breastfeeding and had had chickenpox in the past not to worry. Dh kept the blisters covered too and all was ok.

Not sure if I would go. She needs to have it confirmed or denied.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Hm, interesting. Both our pediatrician and MIL's internist (she went back to her doctor this afternoon and confirmed that it is, in fact, shingles) say that as long as MIL doesn't hold the baby or have weeping, open sores ... it's fine for us to go. Our ped told me that it's not really that easy to get chicken pox from the shingles virus.

Will have to give this some more thought ...
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Could you take turns going? Like one parent stays home with the baby and the other takes the boys to the ILs house, then halfway through the night the parent goes back home and lets the other parent go, eat, then bring the boys back home? I am not sure how far your ILs live away from your house. This would only be feasible if they are close to you.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Ooooh, I think Tara has a great idea!

Or else, you could do Christmas at your house, grandpa comes with the gifts, and grandma stays home. Just
                      kidding!

I know how much you adore your in-laws and I hope you're able to work something out!
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I think the whole idea of anyone from Migirl's family coming into contact w/ grandma is the issue. Even Tara's idea could still theoretically put baby @ risk. You could always use the time away(if you do decide to err on the side of caution ) to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas...the gifts will still be there no matter what. BTW Jane Sorry it has thrown a wrench in your traditional plans.
                        Last edited by Momo; 12-23-2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Oops! Missed the dx part.

Comment

You could have a do-over next week! Your kids are too little to know it's ACTUALLY December 25. Just wait until she's cleared up and have a Christmas re-enactment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                              You could have a do-over next week! Your kids are too little to know it's ACTUALLY December 25. Just wait until she's cleared up and have a Christmas re-enactment.
                              There you go!! What she said

Comment

Working...
                              X