Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

broken leg bordom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken leg bordom

well my 22 month old managed to get a small tibial fracture yesterday. I think it's harder for me than it is for her, but I'm not sure. She is going crazy with this giant splint from her leg to her thigh. She usually spends most of the day dancing and running and now she can't even crawl. We go in tomorrow to be evaluated by orthopedics and given a cast. I'm hoping that they can give her a walk cast or at least a shorter one, but I have no idea.
    Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I bought her more books and art supplies today, but I'm worried about extreme boredom for both of us.
    -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

My daughter had a tibial fracture at 22 months from going down a slide. She was in a cast from below the knee for 4 weeks. Within a couple days she was walking on the cast. We encountered 3 other kids the exact age who had tibial break during the time DD did. The worst part was during the 48 hour period she had the splint on, she developed a callus on her heel. It was very painful and the cast had to have the heel cut out. She still has a scar two years later. Good luck!
    Needs

Comment

No advice but I'm so sorry!!!! My dd broke her clavicle at about that age. I remember being in the ortho room feeling so grateful that she didn't need a cast or anything.

Is she in pain?
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Wow, thats weird. My youngest DD broke her tib at 10 months. They had a cast on from the knee down. She also had a bad pressure sore on her heel. To this day 10 years later she still knows which one she broke by looking at her heel.

Comment

she doesn't seem to be in pain. They gave tylenol with codeine, but we've just been giving her motrin so far. When she first wakes up I think it might bother her a little bit, and she can't put any weight on it at all. I really really really am hoping for a cast below the knee. If we have to go a month without her even crawling, I just don't know what I'll do. Not to mention I'm 14 weeks pregnant and she weighs 30 lbs. Carrying her up and down the stairs all month is going to be rough.

Comment

Sorry to hear about DD Congrats on #2 - how are you feeling?
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Ditto.

FWIW: I've heard it mentioned a few times now, so you may want to confirm w your doc, but Motrin can slow bone healing....that's probably why they gave you the Tylenol.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I am so sorry about your little girl!! I have no experience or advice, just hugs. I'm sure you are taking it much harder than she is. Congrats on #2! Have you posted an announcement in the prego thread yet?
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Thanks Crystal! I haven't posted yet! I guess I will now. I haven't even told my family yet. I think I'm in denial. haha

Comment

Oh I'm so sorry, how hard for both of you! No advice though.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm sorry, no advice just hugs for both you & your dd. Congrats on the pregnancy!
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Poor thing! No advice here, though, sorry. But congratulations on #2!
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

DS1 was just shy of 3yo when he had his tibial fracture (that - despite multiple trips to ER/ped - went undiagnosed for weeks ... guilt, guilt, guilt). He ended up with a cast to just below his knee and I remember having a lot of the same concerns as you since he's a *very active* little boy, but my fears turned out to be unfounded and he adapted surprisingly well. I hope that's the same for you!
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'm sorry, I hope your little pumpkin heals soon!
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We took her today and they re-splinted it instead of a cast, which is JUUUUST fine with me. Since it's still swollen they didn't want to put a cast on it. Anyway, they also did it just below the knee! so relieved. she'll wear the splint for 3 weeks and then it will be a goner.
                              I'm hoping now that it's below the knee she can at least learn to scoot or crawl again.
                              Thanks for all the support!

Comment

Working...
                              X