Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy Family, part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Family, part II

Well....

This funny thing keeps happening in that I can make two lines appear when certain body fluids hit a particular type of plastic stick. 8O I guess that the only thing that I can figure out is that:

I'M PREGNANT!

We are beyond excited! While I knew that I loved kids and babies, the memories of infancy and residency are still kind of fresh. My husband has been ready for the last year and I have been putting him off until the marathon, until the lab years, until Cade would be at least four when the baby arrived, until the sun and the moon and the stars were aligned.....you get the point. After months of analysis and worrying, it finally came down to the fact I was as ready as I would ever be and if we didn't have another child soon, the age span would create the functional equivalent of two only children.

We have been using FAM for the past few months and just holding off during the critical points in the cycle. During June, the marathon and that critical point happened approximately on the same day and I figured, hey, it is not really going to happen while I run 26.2 miles, right? A week later when I was at my parents' cabin in Tennessee, I had a dream that I was delivering a baby at the VA hospital parking lot. I woke up and thought, no, that can't be right. Isn't the popular press always talking about how serious distance running makes women annovulatory? The first test was negative. Accordingly, I indulged in Sangria, unpasturized Rocqufort cheese, ran 6 mile workouts, and waterskied.

When we got home, we immediately went to South Dakota to go on our "Lab years" celebration weekend. Another early test produced negative results. When we got back from Rushmore, however, three different tests confirmed that I am!!!!!!! I thought that I would tell DH in some cute, Hollywood movie way. When the time actually came, however, I kind of stuttered, "two lines.......two lines??...TWO LINES!!!!" He just got this sweet, silly grin on his face.

We are thrilled, and admittedly, somewhat out of control with our excitement. I'm about 5 weeks along and we've already been shopping for baby. I *know* that I need to tone it down because lots can happen, but I'm just thrilled and hope for the best. After months of anxiety of how we will afford another baby, manage with two, adapt, it just doesn't seem so overwhelming anymore. Everyone cross your fingers and hope for the best for new baby Barnett.

I'm due mid to late March, 2004. So far I'm feeling pretty good with a few minor but bizarre symptoms like pimples on my back (ewww, YUCK!), dementia (I've lost my keys in Walmart on Tuesday for two hours and forgot my parking spot last night), and some close calls for passing out. But in the scheme of things, I feel pretty great.

Hubby feels like he has earned the name "One Shot" as a testament to his virility. Soon after I told him, he lamented, "But I haven't lost the weight from the first one yet!" He also mourned the inevitable loss of the sports car that he was pining for during his lab years. Yeah, like that was really going to happen during residency anyway. Mostly, however, he calls me and tells me where the baby is in the growth process or suggests names that he likes. He is very, very cute about all this.

YIPPEE!!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

WOW! Congratulations!!!
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Congratulations!!!!
      Just hearing about your excitement and your husbands reaction made me misty eyed. I wish my DH had been as excited with our two. You are incredibly lucky and blessed. May you have a joyous journey these next 8 months.

Trisha

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS, KELLY!

What perfect timing! You will be able to maximize the benefits of the research years, have the age spread you wanted between kiddos, and the Porsche issue is closed! And you did the marathon!! Wow!

You go, girl!

As the the sangria and roquefort incidents.....I hear you. For me it was mojitos and some sort of sinful, unpasturized cheese. Good thing those embryos are tough little guys.

Comment

Congrats the the Barnett family!!!

I can just picture your huge grin!!

Jenn

Comment

Congratualations!!!!!!!!
            Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I had a very good feeling that I would be reading this news from you at some point this summer. I am very happy for you and wish you a happy and healthy nine months. How nice that both of you are enjoying all of this together!

Take care and keep us posted!

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Congratulations Kelly!!!
                That is fantastic news!
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

That is wonderful news Kelly!!!! I also thought we would be hearing about a pregnancy soon with your hubby being around more!!!! 8) I am really excited for you!!!! March is a great time to have a baby! I wouldn't know personally having done it the hard way with being huge in the summer but everything sounds just right for you!!

Hope you continue to feel well. I am so glad you got to run your marathon first!

Robin

Comment

Wow! That's really great! Congratulations!!
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

baby#2

kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Congratulations to you and your family.

Emily

Comment

I'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear. I'm sooooo happy for you.
                          Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That is great news!! I am also smiling for you and your family. You make me even more excited for when we start to try!

Comment

Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X