Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A cultural thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cultural thing

Last night was the little guy's first skating lesson. If you are thinking, "Wait, I thought her son was only three... and isn't it the middle of July?". You are echoing my original thoughts on the subject. Minnesotans, however, are of an entirely different mindset about this whole skating thing. I wanted to wait a little longer to enroll him, but hubby thought it would be a fun father-son activity. We purchased a used CCM helmet with a full face mask :!: and some second hand Bauer skates in the smallest size avaiable and then stuffed tissues in the toes. I really thought that dh was pushing the envelope, but realized that it didn't really matter because they would be spending time together.

Last night we arrived at the rink and there are a millions of little kids at the rink (and there is a rink on every corner). Apparently, skating by three is a normal developmental milestone here.

You may recall that our little guy is teeny tiny. Just to give you an idea, at almost three and a half he hasn't broke 30 pounds or three feet yet. Nonetheless, by the end of this course, he should know how to fall down properly, get up from a crouching position, and stand. Of course, every other kid who was born in this State is trying really hard to accomplish these skills while my kid is barking like a puppy in the crouching position before licking :!: his teacher. At first, I was a little tense just hoping that he would try a little harder. Because after all, our children's accomplishments and failures are direct testaments to our worth as parents. But then I realized that here is this kid who is having a fabulous time and doesn't give a hoot that every other kid is towering over him or what he looks like. Part of me wondered how I could have such a self-actualized son when I'm always so insecure about how I'm being perceived. Although at this early stage we are more likely to end up with the next San Diego Chicken rather than the next Wayne Gretzky, I think that we have realized that he is going to be just fine. He sure did have a fun time rolling around on the ice.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

That is a hilarious story! You should print out your post and put it in his baby book. Kudos to you for opting out of the "parenting olympics" and focusing instead on your child's enjoyment of the activity. In the eight years since I have become a parent, I have had numerous opportunities to give in to others' expectations, which would have destroyed my confidence in my parenting abilities and my enjoyment of my unique little guys. It was a banner day when I finally started to just blow off what everybody else thought --- but sadly, it is a battle I have to fight over and over again. It does get easier not to care, though!

I would love to see a picture of the little hockey boy!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Re: A cultural thing

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
      Last night was the little guy's first skating lesson. If you are thinking, "Wait, I thought her son was only three... and isn't it the middle of July?". You are echoing my original thoughts on the subject.
      That IS exactly what I was thinking when you posted this before....and then I thought "oh, that's right, they live in MN."

Of course, every other kid who was born in this State is trying really hard to accomplish these skills while my kid is barking like a puppy in the crouching position before licking :!: his teacher.

But then I realized that here is this kid who is having a fabulous time and doesn't give a hoot that every other kid is towering over him or what he looks like. Part of me wondered how I could have such a self-actualized son when I'm always so insecure about how I'm being perceived.
      That's great, Kelly. I have had the same struggle....and I think our kids can be such incredible teachers to us on this subject.

You should put this in his baby book. It is a great story.

Comment

What a funny story! My first thought was actually, "He's not even 30 lbs! My youngest is more of a mammoth than I thought at 26 lbs and only 18 months old! Yikes! Maybe I should feed her less?" For some wierd reason I didn't catch on to the whole ice-skating in July thing at first.
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

What a cute story!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
          X