Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What do your kids' friends call you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do your kids' friends call you?

A friend recently asked how I want her son (who's DD's age) to eventually call me. Right now "Mrs. Lastname" sounds weird and too formal but then I thought that I don't want to be called Julie by a bunch of middle schoolers. Our last name is long and often mangled, so I thought that Mrs. M might be an option. Does that also mean that DH will have to be Dr. M? What did you decide on and why?

We've always used Miss FirstName or Mr. Firstname. There is some implied respect, without it being overly formal. It started with daycare and how the teachers there are addressed.
    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
      We've always used Miss FirstName or Mr. Firstname. There is some implied respect, without it being overly formal. It started with daycare and how the teachers there are addressed.
      That's what we do with our close friends' kids.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I always had them call me by my first name.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We do the same thing also. I figure that when the kids are school-aged, it will naturally transition and friends they've had since age two can probably call me Mrs. firstname and I'll be okay with it.

On a side note - DH's name is Howie. One of our friend's daughters calls him "Dr. Owie." I love it!
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

One of dd1's friends calls me mom. Lol. I don't really care. Typically I get called "so and so's mom" by elem school aged, then maybe mrs last name by middle schoolers.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

They call me Mrs. Lastname or Mrs. R, but most of them have/had me as a teacher, so it's a little different.
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Ok Deb, I laughed out loud at that one.

We do the Miss and Mr. (or Dr.) first name as well.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Mrs K? (Joking). When speaking to BabyK about adults, I refer to them as Mrs. Firstname. Then there is my nephew who calls all adult women, including me, "mommy" except for SIL who he calls "my mommy." Guess all the women he knows are mommies.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I volunteer a lot at the kids' schools so I'm automatically Mrs. Lastname or "so-and-so's mom".

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
                      I always had them call me by my first name.
                      Me too. If my DD's friends call me "Mrs. Lastname", I kindly correct them and tell them they can call me by my first name. Or, they also call me "DD's mom". That's cute, love that one.
                      Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Jenn.

Comment

Depends on the kid but mostly I'm Jenn or "Nikolai's Mom." When we're at the school and I'm wearing the PTA hat, they all call me Mrs. Hussey which totally cracks me up. When I was growing up all of the neighbors were "Mr. and Mrs. LastName" which was fine but doesn't seem to fit the circumstances of my neighborhood.

Jenn

Comment

It seems all the kids that come over to our house call me Mrs. lastname. I've never asked them to, it just has happened that way.
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Occassionally I'll get Mrs. "DD1's last name" which is my old married name so I'll have to correct either the parent/child by saying you can just call me Charlene. I used to prefer Mrs. last name, but it's just too confusing since DD1's last name is different than mine, so just being called Charlene or so and so's mom is fine with me.
                              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                              X