Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who ARE these organized moms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who ARE these organized moms

And what the HECK!

One of Alex's classmates has a mom who actually sends out teacher questionnaires at the beginning of the year to find out what said teachers like so that she can *gift* them appropriately at holidays/the end if the year. That's just one example.

I pat myself on the back if I remember to brush my hair. :/

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

WTF? That is someone who has perfected kissing ass to an artform.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
      Well, that's better than the parent who reported my mother (gifted elementary) for teaching a section on Mythology because it is "lewd" and "anti-Christian". This is the same 4th grader who is keeping a journal of his classmates' behavior in a notebook and then alerting them that he is praying for their evil ways to change.
      So glad that kid isnt in my kid's class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Bwaaahaaahaaa! That kid's head would explode if our heathen kids were in one of his classes.

Comment

Wow!... I guess I'll just resign myself already to being a slacker. I was thinking fo future teacher gifts a Target gift card instead of a coffee mug with an apple on it would be appropriate.

And LilySayWhat, that's just nuts!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

The room parents did that (found out what teachers liked) when my kids were in private schools. I liked it as a parent because all I had to do was send in $$$ at appropriate times, and as a teacher I liked it because I got stuff I would actually use. Now I just give Barnes & Noble gift cards.
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
              Wow!... I guess I'll just resign myself already to being a slacker. I was thinking fo future teacher gifts a Target gift card instead of a coffee mug with an apple on it would be appropriate.
              When I taught that was ALWAYS my favorite gift. I appreciated that so much more than the random purse or body lotion someone would give. I typically ended up using the card to buy the supplies for my classroom that I needed and it was wonderful not to have to buy all the supplies out of my own pocket.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Our day care doesn't allow gift cards so I get classroom supplies and toys instead. I've also mentioned it to the other PTO moms so they can get wish lists from the teachers. So much better than baskets of soap.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

She clearly has too much time on her hands.

Comment

One year I took in a case of copy paper, a case of dry erase pens, boxes of pencils and boxes of erasers. This was in AZ where they spend VERY little on their schools.

Comment

This year, our school is doing an "unraiser." It's basically an ask for a donation instead of having the kids sell something, and it is strictly to go toward "extra" school supplies, such as smart boards, assembly money, staff appreciation week, books, laminators and supplies for them, benches, playground equipment, etc. I think it's a GREAT idea, and we are actually contributing even though we're moving out of town. So many schools have kids peddling wrapping paper and other goods just to keep things going. For teacher gifts, I have settled on this (this year and in all future years, I think) - two gift cards - one to either a bookstore, target, etc where the teacher can choose to spend it on him/her self or the classroom, and the other to somewhere for a "dinner" break, like Panera. DD's teachers are always so appreciative, and it really doesn't cost much, in the scheme of things. And, I'm not the organized mom. I can't find the time or energy to completely pull it together (maybe if we stop moving every couple of years).
                      Last edited by Deebs; 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM. Reason: Got cut off somehow...
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I hate fundraisers with a passion. DD1's old school used to do only one a year. They used their end of the year field day to count soccer goals, laps on the track, basketball baskets made, etc. Friends and family could give the students money to sponsor whatever the student's goals were, which were just flat dollar amounts. They made thousands of dollars each year and kept 100% of the proceeds.

There's now a fundraising thing where you can "flock" someone's yard with plastic flamingos. It's a $20 minimum donation for 48 hours, but you can add your house to a "do not flock" list for $5.

Comment

I hate those, too, but I'm not terribly bothered by the "don't flock" list. It's up to each organization how they'd like to do it and I'm sure some just have a courtesy "don't flock" list, sans donations. They also post a "You've been flocked by..." sign with contact information of the group and a number to call.

I'd totally nail some of our friends with the yard flocking. They'd think it was hilarious. I'd be OK if they wanted to get us, too. As a matter of fact, the more times they'd hit us the better. That means the fundraising organization would be getting more donations.

Comment

Working...
                          X