Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Road-tripping with kids ... WWYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road-tripping with kids ... WWYD?

Next month we're making the 10-hour drive to visit some of DH's extended family in Pennsylvania. The furthest we've ever driven with our kids in the car is about 4.5 hours (they're 5yo, 3yo, and almost-9 months), and we had to break that drive up into two segments (stopping for lunch and running around). The bigger kids did okay with watching movies on the DVD player, but the baby was NOT happy about being confined to her seat for that long!

We're debating between driving during the day and driving at night. Either option sounds pretty painful to me, but the driving-at-night option seems slightly more appealing since - in theory - the kids would sleep the whole way. We've never done this before, so I'm not exactly sure how well/comfortably they'd sleep in the car. Not to mention that DH and I aren't exactly college students anymore, I don't know how well we'd manage with staying awake all night!

But, driving during the day ... with all of the necessary stops for potty breaks and leg-stretching, backseat boredom and whining, crying rear-facing baby ... kind of makes me want to rip my hair out already! I don't think we want to break the drive up into two days since we'll only have 5 days to spend with his family out there, so we'd like to make the drive as quickly as possible and doing it during the day seems like it will take longer than at night.

Should we just drive at night and hope for the best? Anyone have experience with road trips with younger kids? Any suggestions and/or advice?
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

We've been doing a 5h trip pretty regularly. And I've done longer stretches (TX to FL)... My advice is decide which time of day is best for you and for the kids. My kids are better in the morning and early afternoon. We have lots of meltdowns and tantrums just before and around dinner time. I think it's because morning is my best time as well. So we plan roadtrips around the good times. I don't make long stops. Eating is done in the car. Stops are to pee/change diapers, nurse and pick up food. Kids do not get to walk around nor stretch their legs. It leads to complaining.

My plan for a 10h drive would be to get on the road around 6 am. If everyone is up early enough, breakfast before we leave. If not McDs pancakes around 8 or 9 am. Coincide bathroom/diaper pitstop. I usually keep them in PJs until the first stop. Drive til lunchtime. Eat, change diapers etc. Naps usually follow lunch, snack stop and diapers after nap. Drive on til you arrive...around dinner time.

My kids will take a 45-60 min nap in the morning and a 1-2 h nap after lunch when riding in the car. They can read Tag books, play car games (ABC, numbers, count cars), iPhones (we have two old ones), or watch a movie. The movie is last resort bc I want to save the best for when I really need it. I use cheese sticks for car-ok snacks. We don't use the DVD player for the 5h drives bc they will watch and not nap and then they annoy me when we arrive bc they are unnapped.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Wanted to clarify that if I give them time out, they complain about going back in the seats. Maybe we've just been doing this so much lately that they are used to it, or maybe they've just inherited my car-colepsy. Even Phedre (9mo) has been ok. I keep several pacifiers available and toys to throw to her.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Exactly what Michele said. No long stops or leg stretching, it just causes meltdowns when they have to get back in the car. We've been roadtripping with Mattie since she was 3 weeks old. It helps that I've got an assistant next to her (Jacob), but I've done the drive from KS to OH as the lone adult w/3 kids. (12 to 13 hours in one day). We did break it up once (the first trip after Mattie), but honestly that just drags it all out.

I've only done the "wake up extra early and go" thing once, and it didn't really help -- my kids didn't fall back asleep. Instead we usually get going right upon waking up, taking along some Z-bars and drinks, and then stop after we've got 2 hours or so under our belts to pee and pick up breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
          or maybe they've just inherited my car-colepsy.
          I just want to point out that Michele used this word around me once, and I now use it a lot. And laugh every time.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

big sigh. we decided last night to drive up to DC in two weeks. Hold me. I'm almost scared at the thought. Last time we drove from Charlotte DD threw up in the car, I think due to some odd car sickness. I'm thinking about taking the train from NC but not sure how we would manage without a car once we got to DC. GOOD LUCK!
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
              big sigh. we decided last night to drive up to DC in two weeks. Hold me. I'm almost scared at the thought. Last time we drove from Charlotte DD threw up in the car, I think due to some odd car sickness. I'm thinking about taking the train from NC but not sure how we would manage without a car once we got to DC. GOOD LUCK!
              DC is very manageable w/o a car. Great metro system, lots of stuff close together ... assuming you're planning to do the touristy thing and visit DC. If you're going to the general area, then yes, you need a car.

I don't understand car sickness (not saying it doesn't exist). I just don't get how people can be in cars from Point A to Point B all the time, but if you're in for X amount of time, then it causes nausea. On our most recent trip M threw up for the first 2 hours (and I was the only adult). I was worried it was a newly presenting form of car sickness, but now I really think it was just a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                DC is very manageable w/o a car. Great metro system, lots of stuff close together ... assuming you're planning to do the touristy thing and visit DC. If you're going to the general area, then yes, you need a car.

I don't understand car sickness (not saying it doesn't exist). I just don't get how people can be in cars from Point A to Point B all the time, but if you're in for X amount of time, then it causes nausea. On our most recent trip M threw up for the first 2 hours (and I was the only adult). I was worried it was a newly presenting form of car sickness, but now I really think it was just a bug.
                I get car sick (just nausea), even short distances if I am in the back seat for some reason. It sucks.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Unfortunately 6 am isn't getting up super early in my house. . Super early would be when we leave at 3 or 4 am so we can get to Disney for park opening.
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We typically leave between 5-6am. Night driving may sound like a good idea but remember that when you get to your destination you will have children awake and ready for action while you and your hubby will just want to sleep. For a ten hour car trip we would stop once maybe twice if absolutely necessary. I completely agree with Michele and Jenn. Any stops are to be short, there is no "running off energy". Stops are to stretch your legs (which is accomplished by walking to the restroom and back to the car). I also limit snacks and drinks and like Michele, try to not use the dvd until necessary.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                      I live right outside DC (a couple of metro stops) and when I go into DC I DO NOT DRIVE. I hate it. Even with kids, the metro is very manageable. If you need anything while here, just let me know.
                      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                        I live right outside DC (a couple of metro stops) and when I go into DC I DO NOT DRIVE. I hate it. Even with kids, the metro is very manageable. If you need anything while here, just let me know.
                        Thanks! There is a festival at one of the museums I want to attend. We would be happy to use the metro! I guess I need to work on getting a hotel on the line and the rest should be ok for walking around? Even if we don't take the train I might do that anyways so we can avoid driving around looking for parking, etc.
                        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Yeah, don't try to park around the mall. It will drive you insane. All the main tourist sites and the big Smithsonians are easy to access from the metro. If you want to stay in the suburbs, the metro stops at the ends of the lines have big parking lots, too. (Although on weekdays I hear you have to get to them pretty early.)
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                          X