Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Right time to have a baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right time to have a baby

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board but have noticed that there are so many moms! My husband just started his 3rd year of a 5yr surgery residency. Right now I work full time, and since we live in NYC, it takes both our salaries to live even decently. The thing is that we would both really like to start a family soon. I just can't imagine being able to afford to have one. Is it really possible to give up one salary - I'd really like to be a stay at home mom for the first few years. Also, I'm really concerned about being a "single mom" since my husband works so many hours. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nicole

I noticed a bunch of new people on the boards and was wondering when this question would pop up again!

I'll bump some of the older threads for you to read...

I have no opinion on this right now...my mind keeps a-changing!

Michele
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Please don't take our lack of responses for uninterest...this is the most common question here. Please look through the threads.

If you figure this one out, please let me know...because I have one and still haven't figured it out.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

After 5 years of marriage and my salary being the primary (read Only) income, we just said heck with it, there is no financially right time, and started trying. Some of the downpayment we have been saving to buy a house is going to go towards supporting us from February until residency starts. Probably after three or four months I will go back to work part time. Alot of DH's classmates wives have never worked, and as far as we know dont get help from parents. We think they just max out the student loans, and then will use credit cards and really scrimp in residency.

This really is the eternal question of the board, for which there really isnt any right or wrong answer. Good luck!
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

All I can say is that there is never going to be a right time to have a child. In NYC I can see financially how it would be a problem though. You know you are only young once and if your body is telling you its time then I would go for it. Perhaps you can just work part-time afterward? I would'nt wait off on a child because of your husbands career though. That is never healthy and will only bring up problems in the future. This is a hard one. Good Luck!

Comment

With the track record on this site, all you have to do is post here for a few months and then what-do-you-know your posting your announcement here.

Kelly

Comment

With the track record on this site, all you have to do is post here for a few months and then what-do-you-know you'll be posting your announcement here.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
              X