Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Basics for babies???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basics for babies???

I can't believe I'm asking this since I have three children...but it has been AGES since I've had a baby. I just can't remember what 'basic' supplies I need...ie....how many baby onesies, playsuits/sleeping suits/ etc and how many in each size for the first 2 months or so.

Today we went to target and got 3 newborn onesies and then 4 0-3 month size I bought 6 body suits all newborn size and now I'm thinking it might be too many? too few? It sounds nuts, but I don't know what I need to get anymore...I just don't remember.

All of you with little babies....HELP!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I've already forgotten and I have a 3 year old! I'm hoping that all the newborn stuff from her will work (easier since we didn't know her sex either).
    I recall you saying that your babies are on the bigger side of the spectrum so you may want more of the 3 month size than the newborn size. I think it's ok if it's a little bit big.

Comment

I think that the # of outfits all depends on how much your newborn will have those explosive poopy diapers that seem to blow it right up their back and all over their clothes!

Comment

I would lay off the newborn sized stuff, too --- but don't take back what you already got. I usually get one nicer newborn outfit for early pictures, and then the kids live in either onesies (if it is summer) or those gown thingies for the first little bit. It is so much easier to change diapers in those gowns. When they grow out of those, I go for one piece sleep & play things, with feet. I haven't ever put my babies in outfits too much until they were at least 3 months old.

I would say 3 to 5 gowns, 3-5 onesies in newborn and 3-6 month sizes, and maybe 5 -7 pajamas, fairly heavy because it gets cold up where you are, also in 3-6 month sizes, and maybe 5 outfits that have feet but don't look like pajamas, and maybe some little baby sweats, too. Don't forget some little socks to wear with the gowns. (I love baby socks to the point of irrationality.) (and also Carter's anything for babies.)

Get the early stuff at a resale shop because you will find a lot of barely worn gowns, onesies, pajamas, etc.

I feel like an ad for resale shops today.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sounds good, Kris!
          I'm glad that we had a lot of newborn stuff because Charlotte is pretty true to size and I hate when their clothes are big and baggy. I'm a clothes horse so I tend to think a little bit different when it comes to baby clothing! The items that I use most frequently are:
          *socks! Her feet are always getting chilly!
          *those little t-shirts that snap in the front! They are so easy to put on take off and they're pretty cute! My sister calls them her "wrap shirts"!
          *a lot of little cotton pants. They are always on sale at babygap for like $4-6 dollars!
          *I hate onesies but again, that is just me. I like dressing her in "big girl" clothes so I just put a shirt on and pair it with some pants.
          *tons of jammies! She goes through a ton of jammies! Usually because she spits up as soon as I put her jammies on!

I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gmdcblack
            those explosive poopy diapers that seem to blow it right up their back and all over their clothes!
            Forgive me for being ignorant (I don't have that much experience with babies) , but does this really happen?? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yes! You wouldn't believe what their little digestive systems can create!
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Pretty vs. Pritty. . . .I'll just blame that on sleep deprivation.

Yes, you will be in awe at what these tiny creatures are capable of producing in their diapers! I can't speak for formula fed babies but breastfed babies tend to have really runny poops that well, run up and down their backs and sides and sometimes tummy!! The positive thing is that because they are so runny, they are easily wiped off!

Comment

I remember Avery have plenty of explosive poopy diapers. Sometimes all in a row! When I got out her newborn and 0 to 3 month sleepers, onesies and clothes for the new baby, I realized how many of them were stained with spit up, drool and poop! I bought I think 6 to 9 small onesies because she will wear them under sleepers etc. You do go through them quickly. I remember Avery sometimes going through 2 to 3 outfits depending on the day. I hate doing laundry!

I would invest in plenty of bibs too. Avery started a constant drool around 4 months and it lasted until 8 months. It was grose and I hated putting her in bibs, but it was better than ruining clothes. I think we have about 3 to 5 (0 to 3 month) outfits in addition to sleepers. When we weren't going anywhere I mostly had her in sleepers since the weather was chilly. Clearance racks are great and Target has reasonably priced stuff. Old Navy is having a baby sale running until the end of this week. We hit the racks for Avery already. They have socks for .99 cents!

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                    Originally posted by gmdcblack
                    those explosive poopy diapers that seem to blow it right up their back and all over their clothes!
                    Forgive me for being ignorant (I don't have that much experience with babies) , but does this really happen?? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
                    Yes. It is absolutely unbelievable that something so small can exert such force. One gains instant appreciation of this fact when the sweet little baby poops without a diaper on. 8O It gives you a better idea of why they cry when their tummies hurt.

If you even want more detail at this point....I think it is because the poop is so runny that the diaper can't absorb it quickly enough. Thank God for washing machines!

(am I really going to be doing this again in 17 weeks???)

Comment

Nellie, that made me chuckle...

Once, DW was changing the kiddo after an explosion at a friends house. She came out of the bathroom and there had been a second explosion that went right up the sleeve of her shirt! She was beside herself!!

Thank goodness it wasn't me....I just seem to get hit with spit and pee!

Comment

ugh

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go to Once Upon a Child and get a bassinet for our room and a pack-n-play for downstairs....we can always get a crib later.

These are some hysterical stories!!! When Andrew was just a week old, Thomas was changing him on our dryer...we had the washer/dryer combo thingy setup in the bathroom and the top of it was the exact size for the changing pad that we had bought...so it had become our changing table. The washer/dryer was only about 3 months old at the time. Andrew had one of those 'explosion' while being changed and it seeped underneath the controls and plastic protecting the digital readout. We had to actually rip the plastic covering off to clean the digital readout thingy....

Gross!

kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                        X