Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Let's talk about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about

Nose picking. Ugh...My little guy has developed this nasty habit and I don't know how to break him of it without giving it attention so that he wants to do it to defy me. Yesterday at story time he gave a full half hour show to the poor librarian. I realize this is age appropriate behavior, but it is driving me crazy. Help.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Can I make a mittens-and-duct-tape joke here? No, not funny? Okay, nevermind.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Explain that it is yucky, give gentle reminders, refuse to make it a power struggle, which may mean ignoring it sometimes, and let peer pressure take care of the rest. This has worked with two of mine, mostly.

Nathan is turning out to be the shyest of the three I have, and when he is confronted with a new/unfamiliar person, his finger goes straight into his nose. Nice first impression!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
        Nathan is turning out to be the shyest of the three I have, and when he is confronted with a new/unfamiliar person, his finger goes straight into his nose. Nice first impression!

Sally
        Bryn has been known to do the same. How is this such a comforting activity? New person....uh, I don't know them....ahhhhh, my finger feels so safe in my nose. :

Kelly, all I can say is that you are not alone in this. Bryn seems to be taking great delight in the treasures of the nose lately. The other day we were driving home from preschool and she said, "I found a wet rock!" (You know where this is going, don't you?)
        Then, "It's getting my hands all wet too!"
        Me (stumped): "Where did you find a wet rock?"
        Her: "In my nose!"
        Well, duh, of course, where else would one look for a wet rock?
        Me: "Let me give you a Kleenex for that."
        Her: "That's ok. I just put it in my mouth."
        Nice. Lovely.

So, how are we dealing with this? Similar to Sally's suggestion -- gentle reminders, frequent handing over of Kleenex, reminders to wash hands, etc. The having to wash hands seems to be one of the more helpful things because it usually takes her "out of the field of play" and means taking a break from a more enjoyable activity. Like nose-picking. I do think this has the potential to become a serious power struggle a la potty training in that it's their little body and the can do what they want.

Sigh. The glamours of parenting, eh?
        [/u]

Comment

Nellie, oh that makes me laugh!!.....

We are also going through this wonderful stage with our 3yo. We have somewhat calmed the beast by telling him that if he "needs" to pick his nose then he should go into his room or the bathroom where the Kleenex are. He actually will do this, seems to take a pride in going to another room and doing this "by himself". He hasn't picked his nose in public in awhile....(probably just jinxed it right there!)

I am sure that it is only a matter of time before he decides to start spitting and scratching himself in public too!...possible baseball future?!

Comment

ha, ha, ha, ha...you guys make me feel like I'm not alone!

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Yes, I can chime in here! Chase has a permanent finger up his nose. last night I had the distinct pleasure of being called upstairs because he had successfully snagged one and wanted me to wipe it off his finger. At least I can be thankful that he didn't wipe it on my sheets or pillow since he happened to be sleeping in my bed. Glad to know I am not alone in this sport of nose picking. I was sure it was because I was obsessed with that nose sucker when he was a baby!

Comment

One of my children has this exact same "issue" at the moment and it leaves me utterly bewildered! She is thumb sucker (which we are coordinating with the peds dentist to curtail) and a few months ago began sticking two of her dangling fingers up her nose! It's the double-barrel approach if you will. She seems to do this for comfort as the nose-finger thing seems to accompany the thumb-mouth thing. Unfortunately rather than get boogers she tends to wedge her digits so high up her nostrils that she draws blood!!! I have actually put socks on her hands at night in order to at least avoid night nose-bleeds. I really and truly don't know quite what to do with her now. We've tried various strategies (ie gentle reminders, covering the hands with socks, etc.). I'm really at a loss....

Jennifer
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I've got a couple of nose-pickers at my house also. Our 3 year old seems to be on the decline but her little sister is just beginning to explore the many little treasures she finds up her nose. Luckily, so far she comes to me with it on her finger so that I can remove it with a kleenex, I can't wait for the day when it occurs to her to taste it
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                  X