Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This made me laugh out loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This made me laugh out loud

Warning #1: This is the kind of humor that's based on making fun of the clueless-but-well-intentioned. It's a little mean (but so funny!).

Warning #2: It makes fun of baby names (it's commentary regarding posts on one of those baby-name web boards). I don't remember seeing any names that looked familiar, but I'm not making any promises. If you're sensitive about your own or your children's names . . . consider yourself warned.

Example:
    My last name is Tinkletop. For some reason my wife objects to naming our son Timothy, Timmy for short. I think it's a good, memorable name.

You're right.

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/3.html
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

rofl....some of those are just too funny.
    thanks for the pointer.
    One of my favorites:

Thazel is a name I've wanted to use for either a boy or a girl. Is that name too weird? It's a combination of my grandmothers who pasted away just three weeks apart. (Thelma and Hazel)

"So where'd you get that interesting name, Thazel?"
    "A string of mysterious tragedies. Now I'm haunted by two bickering old ladies from far beyond the grave."
    "Oh, that's nice."
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

I really like Freddie Prinze jr. and heard his father was famous and died tragically. What was his name?
      His name was Scatman.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I am laughing so hard that I think Eric is wondering just what is going on with me.

It took me a minute to get the "armory"......

I have an unusual name, and I hated it as a child. As I grew older, I appreciated it for what it was...the first gift my mother had given me....
        Wait, wasn't that LIFE ITSELF?

And I still haven't met anyone with the same name-Sharmari, pronounced SHAR-Marie.

Sharmari, where the Sharmy keepsh itsh weaponsh.

Comment

I had so much fun with it- I found more- Here are some of mine-

Impala Sedan
          No. This must be a joke. The "place of conception" naming trend has gone pretty far, but this, this is fake...right? Pretty please?

Tylette Rasheen
          ...or perhaps Tylette Brush or Tylette Duck

Crystal

Side note about poor naming- My dad is a retired Marine Corps Officer, and when we were stationed in North Carolina there was a guy in his Battalion who's last name was Ball. This guy's wife was pregnant and due in November and very gun-ho about the USMC. Anyway, his wife delivered on Nov 12 which happens to be the USMC Birthday Ball. His wife had a girl, and named her Marina Cora Ball.
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

That is hilarious! Are those actual names that people wanted to name their kids? My husband told me one day he when we was in his peds residency he walked into the patient room and said "Is this Heaven?". Apparently the kids name was Heaven and "Is this "XXX"?" is what he usually said when he walked into the exam room. The mom was then pissed because she felt he was making fun of the kids name! I'm not sure why parents feel the need to burden their poor children with riduculous names!!!
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

These are hysterical!!!

My MIL worked in labor and delivery for 25 years and she said that someone named their daughter "female", pronouned to rhyme with tamale. Can you believe that?

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I have heard of that "female" name before.....also "fallopia", if you can imagine!

My mom taught a couple of kids from the same family in successive years that were named "Passion" (boy) and "Pleasure" (girl).

Wouldn't it be horrible to be reminded of your parents "doing it" every time someone said your name??? 8O

Sally
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Well, I have to admit, as the daughter of someone named Sperling....I have a whole closet full of odd family names-

My dad goes by his middle name which is really Sperling (I guess John was too pedestrian!)

My aunt (Sperl's sister) is Anthia, which is a shortened version of their grandmother's name which was Anathia which is pronounced Anna Thigh Ah. Thanks, but no.

My grandmother on the other side is Ruthadell (yup, and she goes by Ruthie and has no problem with people thinking that her 'real' name is Ruth) and her sister is the "loreine" from whence Jennifer Loreine (aka jloreine) came. I guess they ran out of names after the first five kids... and had to start making them up!

Jenn

and really- it's bad enough that my parents told me that I was conceived after they saw Dr. Zhivago (sp?) I can't imagine being named after their 'bliss'.

Comment

I guess I should now admit that Russ went to elementary school with some one named....

get this....

are you sure you are ready.....

Lucius Pusey
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

That's hilarious Michele!
                      Hey Jennifer--my middle name is "lorene" also, I'm named after a great aunt. I can't believe I never put two and two together with your username!
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                      X