Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Just wanted to give you all the latest in the quest for the small Russian person...

Rick had his appointment with the Social Worker two weeks ago, I had mine on Monday- the next step is the home visit. Hopefully, I'll be able to get that scheduled while I'm off for the next two weeks.

We got our appointment from BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, aka the INS) and we are scheduled for our fingerprinting the week of 1/6-1/10. Hopefully I'll be home and not out on a survey for at least one of those days.

I went to the DC Police station and tried to get our criminal histories but because I didn't have a notarized letter from Rick stating that it was OK, I couldn't get them. A task for Saturday.

We got Rick's birth certificate back from California with the Apostile (which is nothing more than them certifying that it's an original document- even though it already had the raised seal from California- oh well, hoops...there are many.)

I sent my stuff to the Maryland Secretary of State- I figured it would be faster by mail than me trying to get my act together enough over the holidays to traipse to Annapolis. (OK- it's all of 45 minutes from DC- I'm just anti-going anywhere when I get home from being out on the road!)

My mom sent in her recommendation- notarized and everything- and my friend Leslie plans on doing hers this weekend.

So- that's it. We just have to plod through this ton of paperwork! One step at a time.

Jenn

Wow,
    I'm exhausted just reading about the paperwork. I can't imagine doing it.
    Good luck.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That does seem like a lot of hoops to jump through, but I'm sure once you lay eyes on the little tyke it will be worth every step! Good luck on the home visit--I'm sure it will go great!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Whew! May the bureacracy be as efficient as possible for you. I'm hoping for all the best for you.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

My cousins adopted a baby from Russia, and she's adorable. They're 2nd cousins or something, so we only see them occasionally and I don't know all the details of their story. But I do know that they were originally planning to change her name, and had a new name all picked out, but by the time they got through the process, they were so used to seeing and saying "Daria" that it stuck. I think she's in kindergarten now and was 18 mos. when they brought her home.

They also have a school-aged daughter who they got the old-fashioned way, and it's uncanny how alike the two girls look--moreso than most sisters, even. I'm actually biologically related to my brothers, and yet I look almost nothing like them. You never can tell How a family is going to unfold, I guess. It's exciting to see, though.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Jenn,

I know it is a long process, but it sounds like you are getting lots accomplished. Please continue to keep us posted.....I am VERY interested in hearing about the "journey" you are taking.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Jenn,

Yes, do keep us posted. A friend of a co-worker had adopted two little girls from Russian about 5 years ago. They are just the most darling little sweeties you could meet.

It does sound like a whole lot of hoops to jump through. It amazes me that people who probably shouldn't be getting pregnant are(DH gets a LOT of young, single teenaged mothers seeking labor epidurals), yet couples who really want to adopt a child are put through the wringer.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly! Best of luck to you and your DH!

Comment

And to add insult to injury-

Maryland called me today (well, not the state but a state employee) to tell me that they could only grant the Apostille for two of the three documents (my Divorce Decree and our Marriage License). My birth certificate is TOO OLD- the guy who signed it isn't there (duh- my parent's got that copy in 1977) so they can't verify it or something stupid like that.

So- I will be emailing the Maryland Bureau of Vital Statistics after I leave you all this evening.

It's always something...

Jenn

Comment

Sounds like a real roller coaster, Jenn......Hopefully they'll be able to provide you with the documents that you need asap. How far along do you think that you are in the process now?

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Sorry to hear of the speed bumps in the process - it's almost as long of a drawn out process as pregnancy or longer. But I just want to say I think it's awesome what you and your husband are doing. That's going to be one lucky kiddo!

Comment

it's almost as long of a drawn out process as pregnancy or longer.
                      No Kidding ThuVan...this is one long labor labor for them!!!! Jenn, I'm amazed by how you are sticking with this and moving forward despite the roadblocks!

kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

It's all about keeping the goal in sight!

If you all want to see some of these cuties, go to http://www.frua.org, go to FRUA chat, then click on the family album sections-

when I get discouraged, I go there to psych myself back up!!

Jenn

Comment

I could spend hours looking at those pictures--what cutie pies!
                          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Those kids are all gorgeous!

Comment

Working...
                            X